Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm in tears now ... of relief.
As Vicki says I would play it very gently, take your lead from him.
Maybe the "team" could advise you.

Other than that I am sooo pleased he is back and I hope it all goes well for you all now.
{{{HUGS}}}
Summerbanks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:11 AM
I was following this yesterday and being a 'newbie' I didnt like to post. I came on as soon as i could this morning just to check this thread and I am so relieved for you.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I am really glad to hear he turned up in the end. Really pleased to hear he managed to get some courage together and see the doctors about his state of mind;definately a step in the right direction.

You may not get anything out of him, but perphaps ask him how much he wants you there? By that, I mean does he want lots of support from you or a bit of space to think, but with the odd chat etc, but maybe add that you are always there to listen if he does need you (incase he asks for some space, he doesn't feel totally on his own then).

I think as long as you take small steps, things will sort themselves out, and small step forwards is better than steps backwards or no steps at all.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:04 AM
What a relief he is safe and sound. At least he has taken the first step and he knows you are there for him. Big hugs to you all. xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I have just seen this thread and am so relieved your son turned up home, safe and sound. I would take the fact that he went to seek help for himself as a really positive step, and I hope he can rebuild things from there. You are obviously a very close family, and I am sure that support and understanding will really help him.

Hugs to you all.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I am so glad he is back. It sounds as if he is not out of the woods yet, but with a supportive family and professional help he should be able to pull himself through this. You will know how much support he needs, and sometimes he will take a step or two backwards, so will need more from you. But with your encouragement he will keep making progress and in time will get his life back on track.

If he has another episode like yesterday I would report him as missing to the police as soon as possible. They will not criticise you for doing so and it could make a big difference to the outcome.

You sound like a fabulous mum, he's a lucky lad.

ETA: Sometimes people suffering from mental illness like your son are not the most reasonable or easy to deal with. If you fear that he is sliding downhill and you can't get him to accept help, consider talking to his doctor. Sometimes as a last resort, the only way to help is to have someone sectioned. It's not done lightly and a doctor would need to come out and see him. That way he is safe whilst a thorough assessment is done.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I agree with SB....you do need to 'ask' him how much he wants you to support him.

When I went through this with my son I was advised by the medical profession to ask rather than tell him, and to say ''if you need me son I am always by your side you just need to ask'' you may find he will not answer or seems not to acknowledge or he may even blame you but whatever he says (if he does say hurtful stuff) just try to remeber he is only lashing out and it will not be personal.

You can ask if he would like you to take him to the crash team but let him know you will stay outside unless he decides he wants you in there. Be prepared though if you go in to hear stuff that may shock you try not to react as I found it can be heartbreaking when they unlock thier feelings.

All you can do as a family now is be his rock......in time when he is feeling more repaired he will thank you for it....honest xxxxxxx

so glad he is safe xxxxxx
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Very glad your son is home.
Good luck to you all. x
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Phew, what a relief for you. I can only echo what others have said about letting your son set the boundaries for how much help he wants. I have been in a similar (though less severe, by the sounds of it) place to him in the recent past, and I think probably one of the things that helped most was keeping a sense of normality. My parents didn't tiptoe around for fear of upsetting me, but they let me know in no uncertain terms that they were there for me and would help me in whatever way they could, which was a comfort even when I felt I couldn't ask them. good luck to all of you.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Am so glad he's back safe and hope things improve for all of you
Best wishes
H.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >