Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
But Lou, you have not got the SPECIAL dog! The one who will NOT recall without being electrocuted! The one who's owners allow to be "NORTY" when it suits them. Fancy you not knowing that!
Oh how very silly of me to forget ...... no I didnt. I have eight sod blerry naughty rescues - mainly large breeds, gsd's bsd's and a couple who are a real challenge - including anti social behaviour and one mallie who I would not let to play free with other dogs (very highly reactive) - although now she is pretty brilliant if around me to look to for guidence.

You are right - I obviously need to go shopping. Oh how could I have been so stupid and not fast forwarded to a fully trained dog in a matter of sessions, instead of putting in the hard work, patience and love that I have....... haa haa haa! I dont think so.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
But Lou, you have not got the SPECIAL dog! The one who will NOT recall without being electrocuted! The one who's owners allow to be "NORTY" when it suits them. Fancy you not knowing that!
Lol! very funny indeed................giggling still......
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Or possibly devote their every waking hour when they are not working to working, playing, eating, breathing, living with their dogs to ensure that they achieve their full potential
But is that what you sign up for when you take on one of these breeds?
One of the reasons I wouldnt own a BC is because I couldnt give a dog like this enough time. So stands to reason, if you cannot be bothered to exercise/work a northern breed, why would you buy one?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:04 AM
AND ensure that they reach their full potential.

See my new thread entitled "Ben's just champion!"
Ben ISN'T champion, he has run into a shop and nicked something! I'd be mortified if my dogs did that before I could call them back.

It is people like you who think that it is 'norty' but acceptable behaviour who give responsible committed dog owners a bad name and who, eventually, will cause more dog control laws to be passed.

You should be ashamed not proud!

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
That is after you stuck a device on his neck........ dog on on dog aggression can not be "fixed" by a pain related device. It is surpressed. Unless the cause of the aggresion is addressed (usually in many cases it is fear realted) then it is very likely that another behaviour will emerge at some stage .... (not necessairly now) as a kind of coping device.....

I have worked with hundreds of dogs over the years and I live in a country which has a huge dog on dog agression problem (cultural mainly) . Most of which were happily resolved by confidence building / positive reinforcement methods, kindless, rewards and most of all patience and giving the dog time to work stuff out himself. That is if the owner took the time, effort and trouble to go the whole nine yards.
You will be the first to know IF and WHEN it goes belly up. So far, the results have been extremely good.

All those people who knew the old Ben are absolutely amazed and thrilled to see the change in him. And they add up to a lot, because his previous owner worked in one of our regular haunts and took Ben with him to work every day.

He was a nightmare. He was aggressive - towards other dogs, and anyone who wanted him to do something that he did not want to do. He could not be let off the lead, because he would run off, he was a nightmare. 9 or 10 months later, he is a pleasure to own, he is full of character, yes he is naughty, good, I LIKE that. All I ask for is that he comes when he is called, doesn't show aggression towards other dogs and is good with children and strangers, which he is.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Well, if it is, then you had better tell my guys that it is, because for 10 years my old boy Hal was let off the leash, Tai who is a rescue and we've had for 3 years, he is let off and now Hal's son whom we have had for almost a year, he also is let off the leash.

With dogs I firmly believe that you should never say "impossible" or "never", but always "maybe" and "I will try".
Originally Posted by Gnasher;
He was a much misunderstood dog, for the first 2 years of his life he was kept on a running line in the back garden because the owners went out to work all day and he ate their house if left inside. He then went to a rescue society and was adopted by a lovely lady who lives in Cornwall but unfortunately her rottweiler bitch took a huge dislike to Ben and savaged him quite badly, so she had to find a new home for him. This is where we came in. We met Ben's last owner at our local when he had popped in for a drink with a friend to show him the work he had originally done on converting the pub. He greeted us and was very sorry to hear that we had lost Hal, and told us how he had always admired him and how he would love to have a dog like Hal. Just at that time, I had seen Ben advertised for rehoming on the Wolf in Sheeps Clothing website, and to cut a very long story short, Ben ended up being adopted by our friend. They became inseparable, Ben went everywhere with our friend who unfortunately allowed him to do pretty much what he liked. Unfortunately, he had a very bad accident and we agreed to foster Ben until he got better. Months later, when Ben and Tai had bonded so well, our friend asked if we would like to keep Ben because he wasn't strong enough after so long in hospital to have him back and he had bonded so well with Tai he thought it cruel to split them up, so we adopted Ben, with a shedload of issues!
Sorry, bit off topic, but is Ben Hal's son or not? Also you have mentioned Hal's daughter else where... Why where these 'wolf crosses' bred if they were homed in places where they were neglected. Do you need anything to own a wolf cross. A while ago when I was quite (wrongly IMO) curious about these 'dogs' I looked into owing one. I read up and apparently needed a DWA licence, and they were to be kept on lead and muzzled in any public places. Maybe this was wrong, but I do recall reading it in a few places.
Why did the dog you bred, or the son of a dog you own end up passed back and forth before you had any help in trying to place him properly... Where are the other pups of the litter? I'm totally confused as to whether this dog is a wolf cross, or a 100% mutt... (and I mean no offence by that, I have only ever owned crosses or mutts best dogs IMO) and where it came from.
Sorry to divert it further but I'm just confused and seemed like one of the best places to ask.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Sorry, bit off topic, but is Ben Hal's son or not? Also you have mentioned Hal's daughter else where... Why where these 'wolf crosses' bred if they were homed in places where they were neglected. Do you need anything to own a wolf cross. A while ago when I was quite (wrongly IMO) curious about these 'dogs' I looked into owing one. I read up and apparently needed a DWA licence, and they were to be kept on lead and muzzled in any public places. Maybe this was wrong, but I do recall reading it in a few places.
Why did the dog you bred, or the son of a dog you own end up passed back and forth before you had any help in trying to place him properly... Where are the other pups of the litter? I'm totally confused as to whether this dog is a wolf cross, or a 100% mutt... (and I mean no offence by that, I have only ever owned crosses or mutts best dogs IMO) and where it came from.
Sorry to divert it further but I'm just confused and seemed like one of the best places to ask.
No problem. I owned Hal, a wolf cross who fathered 2 litters of pups. I didn't breed the pups, Hal was the stud. It was purely by chance that Ben came up for rehoming. I had no idea he was Hal's son, he was just another poor misunderstood mal/husky mix who had been bought as a puppy for all the wrong reasons and ended up being rehomed. By chance we met an old acquaintance in our local pub after several years and he thought Tai was Hal. We explained that Hal had sadly died, and he said what a lovely dog he thought he was and that he had always fancied a dog like Hal. I casually said that these dogs often come up for rehoming and I would have a look out for him. Literally almost the next day I saw Ben advertised on a dog website for rehoming, made some enquiries and our friend ended up rescuing him. I can't remember now when I discovered that Ben was one of Hal's sons, but anyway our friend ended up adopting Ben until unfortunately he had a very bad accident after which he spent a long time in hospital. It ended up with our friend asking us to keep Ben because he had bonded so well with Tai he felt it was not in Ben's best interests to take him back.

Ben's half sister (daughter of Hal from a previous mating) lives in a nearby village and is the spit of the old git ... her full brother, Ben's half brother, is Woody and he is still going strong, living with another friend of our's who was a farmer, now retired, who adopted Woody a few years ago when my daughter was very sick and spent a year in hospital.

Hope this helps!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Im a little confused? was Hal not with you all the time then if he had 2 litters but you didnt breed them?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
But is that what you sign up for when you take on one of these breeds?
One of the reasons I wouldnt own a BC is because I couldnt give a dog like this enough time. So stands to reason, if you cannot be bothered to exercise/work a northern breed, why would you buy one?
Exactly!! When you take on one of these breeds, IMO you ARE signing on to a lifetime where your dog is the focus of your life. Our 2 get at least 5 miles a day off lead walking, plus long bike rides along the canals at the weekends in the summer, plus NEVER being left alone, plus sleeping in the bedroom, plus a very relaxed attitude to holes in the garden, balls of tumbleweed-like fluff blowing everywhere, and a very robust attitude towards housework! It is my opinion that so many of these wolf-type breeds end up in rescue because people just do not realise the level of commitment.

Not only can I be bothered to exercise my northern breeds, I devote my life to them such that they are the hub of my life and my husband's. We have not been abroad on holiday for 14 years, no theatre trips, no restaurants, no cinema, no parties, unless we can take our dog ... or dogs to come up into the present. We don't mind these sacrifices, they are more than worth it, but please don't accuse me "of not being bothered" ... that's unfair
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Im a little confused? was Hal not with you all the time then if he had 2 litters but you didnt breed them?
Yes of course, but he was the stud - the bitches came to him for mating, and that was his job done. I had nothing to do with the actual raising of the pups because I did not own the mothers, I'm confused that you should have to ask, unless you thought that I owned the mothers too
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >