Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes of course, but he was the stud - the bitches came to him for mating, and that was his job done. I had nothing to do with the actual raising of the pups because I did not own the mothers, I'm confused that you should have to ask, unless you thought that I owned the mothers too
OK, thankyou I understand - I was confused with the terms used
when you said you didnt breed from him I thought you ment someone else had him at the time

I am surprised and saddend that stud owners take no interest in the lives they produced
Can I also ask, as he was a crossbreed why were you breeding from him anyway?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
OK, thankyou I understand - I was confused with the terms used
when you said you didnt breed from him I thought you ment someone else had him at the time

I am surprised and saddend that stud owners take no interest in the lives they produced
Can I also ask, as he was a crossbreed why were you breeding from him anyway?
What!! Of course I took an interest - where ever did you get that idea? With his first litter, we introduced at least 4 of the owners to the owner of the bitch, maybe more, with the second litter it was more difficult because Skye's owners lived in Southampton.

I don't agree with this "not breeding from crossbreeds" - Hal's hipscore was good - 6 & 6 - he was a fantastic dog, healthy and extremely beautiful with a lovely temperament, despite being a true alpha and a git to boot!. The pups that were produced were amazing ... you have probably seen pictures of Ben, and you will agree that he is gorgeous.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Actually, as a PS, I have just remembered that my OH designed and published a website for the owner of the dam of the first litter ... for which he was never paid, contrary to our agreement, but that is another story ... to help her show off the dam, sire and the pups.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:35 PM
yes he is pretty, so are my Mia and Ben, but I dont agree with breeding from them while many pretty and ugly dogs die in rescues
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yes he is pretty, so are my Mia and Ben, but I dont agree with breeding from them while many pretty and ugly dogs die in rescues
But people breed from pedigrees ... that is all right is it? Whilst pretty and ugly dogs die in rescues?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 11:45 PM
But people breed from pedigrees ... that is all right is it? Whilst pretty and ugly dogs die in rescues?
in general no I dont believe most people should be breeding from their dogs
But I believe it worse from crossbreeds because it is more difficult to know what you are going to get as a result, noone is an expert on the breed because the breed does not exist

everyone loves their dogs, and rightly so, but that does not mean they are the best placed person to decide if there dog is a great enough example to produce pups from
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Gnasher, don't you think it was irresponsible to breed from Hal with his very iffy pedigree. How did you know if the bitches were closely related or not?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes of course, but he was the stud - the bitches came to him for mating, and that was his job done. I had nothing to do with the actual raising of the pups because I did not own the mothers, I'm confused that you should have to ask, unless you thought that I owned the mothers too
Ahh ok. I know very little about what protocols are used when breeding, who picks where the pups will go, choice on raising the pups etc. I personally think that it is a bit sad that you had no input in the offspring, and didn't know one of them went up for rehoming or had such a poor quality of life with the owners he seems to have had since he left the bitch/mother. But for all I know this could be the norm, just seems a real shame to me.
That said I do know that many people have to travel far to find the best stud to match their bitch, so in that way am not surprised that the stud family have little interaction. Like I said I really have no idea. But thanks for clarifing.

I also have to agree, why breed these mixed breed dogs when so many are up for rehoming so often. I personally think when there are so many dogs up for rehoming from rescues and such that it is the breeders jobs to reduce their output so people who want these 'wolf crosses' or mal/husky mixes have to look at rescues. I would say the same for any dog often found in rescue, pedigree or not. ATM I defiantly think breeding staffies or staffy x is a very irresponsible thing! Way too many in rescue, to the point the second my rescue was well enough he was chopped! lol
But hey, maybe when you studded him out there weren't any in rescues, and it was just bad research and knowledge between breeder and owners.

Sorry for going off topic
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
It's breeding mutts. And we all know what that's called.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Gnasher, don't you think it was irresponsible to breed from Hal with his very iffy pedigree. How did you know if the bitches were closely related or not?
No, because there was nothing iffy about Hal - and he was not closely related to either bitch, if he had of been, we would not have mated them
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 >