Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Yes, I would like to see all breeders operate any returns in this way although I know many responsible ones that don't but my biggest fear for them is that people will not return to them but sort it themselves in the small ads.
To try and prevent this we have three policies;
1. We microchip and register the details under the rescues name and the owners name. If someone attempted to change the details we would be informed first.
2. We carryout post homevisits and stay in contact with the owners for the rest of the dogs life.
3. Our adoption contract states the dog must be returned to ourselves.

Maybe breeders could do the same?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't scoff. I will not home to those that are elderly or in indifferent health but then with my breed fitness is very important as I want them to enjoy an active, outdoor lifestyle..................but you know, car accidents and all that so, not wishing that to happen to anyone, fingers crossed our luck holds out
I had never thought to ask who could take on the dog in such an event but then I am here to do so, so no need really.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
1. We microchip and register the details under the rescues name and the owners name. If someone attempted to change the details we would be informed first.
2. We carryout post homevisits and stay in contact with the owners for the rest of the dogs life.

I think this has been discussed and not exactly agreed upon :smt001 but I have yet to be convinced that these contracts actually maintain the breeders, or rescues right to any dog someone has paid for. For me, it is not so much an issue because I refund so the owner in trouble should find the route back to me the easiest and most satisfactory option. It has only happened to me once, due to a change of circumstances, and the owners were more than happy to take that route and were even dismissive of their refund as they dearly loved the dog and just wanted to see him right, although they did get it all the same.
I'm not sure that microchipping would be all that foolproof. Not everyone would bother changing the details and home visits are not much use if they bunk off and don't leave a forwarding address.
I think the main stay will always be a tightly held criteria and vetting as far as I would wish to rely on. It's stood me in good stead so far.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 08:29 PM

Number two and three we do,our contract states that if for any reason the owners can't keep the pup/dog,we will take it back and must be contacted first.The next litter I breed,my pups will be chipped before they leave but will also have our details on as the Breeder.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Your right we've never had a dog returned to us due to the owner dying, this is partly luck but also because of our checks, Some of you may scoff, but we generally won't home pups/young dogs to elderly people, those where we do we ask for proof/check they have someone, we feel is suitable, willing to take the dog on should they die before the dog does, informing us if this happened.
FOAL take exactly the same policy...its the only sensible way really. :smt002

FOAL has had a few dogs returned over the years due to the adopter dying. But these were after they had been living with the adopter for several years each.
Be prepared for it Anne, this is something you will get the longer you are running.....FOAL has been going 47 years.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 08:38 PM
For those that might think you don't get many pedigrees in rescues, below is a list of the breeds we have either taken in, been asked by members of the public or other rescues to help with, in the last four months;
(those with s's means more than one of that breed)

Alaskan Malamute
American Bulldogs
Basset
Beagles
Belgian Shepherd
Bichons
Boreboel
Border Terriers
Boxers
Bull Mastiffs
Cairns
Cane corso
Chinese Crested
Chow
CKCS's
Cockers
Collies
Corgi
Dachshund
Dalmatians
DDB's
Dobies
Dorset Bulldog
Duck Toll
English Bulldog
English Mastiffs
English Pointer
Flat coat
German Pointer
Golden Retrievers
Great Danes
Greyhounds
GSDs
JRTs
King Charles Spaniel
Labradors
Lhasa Apso
Neo Mastiffs
Papillon
Parsons
Petite Basset Vendeen
Picardy Shepherd
Poms
Poodles (minature & Toy)
Presa
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Rotties
Rough Collie
Russian Black Terrier
Samoyed
Shar Pei's
Shih Tzus
Siberian Huskies
Springers (English)
Staffys
St Bernards
Thai ridgebacks
Tibetan Terriers
Vizsla (wirehaired)
Weimies
Westies
Wheaten
Whippet
Wire haired Fox Terrier
Yorkies
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Be prepared for it Anne, this is something you will get the longer you are running.....FOAL has been going 47 years.
Absolutely I don't doubt it.
I'm sure it's a matter of time, despite our checks, when we will one day get one of our dogs returned because the owner has died but at least we will know we had done everything in our power to prevent it.

Hat's off to The Mayhew who have been around since 1886
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Number two and three we do,our contract states that if for any reason the owners can't keep the pup/dog,we will take it back and must be contacted first.The next litter I breed,my pups will be chipped before they leave but will also have our details on as the Breeder.
Excellent good-on-you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 09:01 PM
For those that might think you don't get many pedigrees in rescues, below is a list of the breeds we have either taken in, been asked by members of the public or other rescues to help with, in the last four months;
(those with s's means more than one of that breed)

Alaskan Malamute
American Bulldogs
Basset
Beagles
Belgian Shepherd
Bichons
Boreboel
Border Terriers
Boxers
Bull Mastiffs
Cairns
Cane corso
Chinese Crested
Chow
CKCS's
Cockers
Collies
Corgi
Dachshund
Dalmatians
DDB's
Dobies
Dorset Bulldog
Duck Toll
English Bulldog
English Mastiffs
English Pointer
Flat coat
German Pointer
Golden Retrievers
Great Danes
Greyhounds
GSDs
JRTs
King Charles Spaniel
Labradors
Lhasa Apso
Neo Mastiffs
Papillon
Parsons
Petite Basset Vendeen
Picardy Shepherd
Poms
Poodles (minature & Toy)
Presa
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Rotties
Rough Collie
Russian Black Terrier
Samoyed
Shar Pei's
Shih Tzus
Siberian Huskies
Springers (English)
Staffys
St Bernards
Thai ridgebacks
Tibetan Terriers
Vizsla (wirehaired)
Weimies
Westies
Wheaten
Whippet
Wire haired Fox Terrier
Yorkies
Out of interest did you get in touch with the breed specific recues Anne? I know the flat coat would have been taken up by theirs for example...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I do appreciate that a home visit and check can be helpful BUT 2 hrs isn't a long time really to get to know a family. I am in touch with the breeder of my next pup and we won't be getting it for a few years yet. We will meet before the pup is even a twinkle in its dads eye so to speak! She will know me infinitely better than any volunteer from a rescue could know me in a 2 hr interview...
YES interviews can be helpful but a lot of people, as has been mentioned already on this thread, have been in touch with their reputable breeders for a LONG time prior to getting a pup so the need for a 2 hr home check just isn't there....
In fairness, whilst going and checking a fence is secure, you would have to be a bit of a numpty to find a perfect breeder, be in otouch, spend a fortune on a pup and then not have your garden secure....
Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 >