Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Puppy Farm/ Kc Reg?

Hello, i dont want to start a war , just a quick question.

Can Puppy-farmed dogs be K C Registered?

Thankyou

Natalie
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 08:58 AM
i would say yes, if the parents are KC registered the pups can be and if the puppy farmers are registered breeders, at the end of the day, money talks, i coulod be wrong tho
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure cos don't the KC stipulate that a dog can only have so many litters or something. I wouldn't have thought most puppy farmers would bother with the KC because they are doing very nicely out of the D.L.R.C.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes they can be, and often are, KC registered.

A well known ruse is to breed on every season but only register every other litter up until the bitch reaches the maximum age for registration. That way it looks to the KC (and anyone reading the BRS) that the bitch isn't bred from on every season, and the Puppy Farmer can sell the unregistered litters or regiter them with the 'alternative registry'
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 09:44 AM
es they can ,unfortunatly there is a problem with byb registering dead pups and then going on to say that they have in fact had a litter with them,there are some really shocking things that go on .the kc papers mean nothing at all we know of breeders that have so many pups that they dont know what papers belong to what dog ,one instance of this happening is the place called dogs r us they have their pups delivered and the paperwork is all filed in breeds ,you go for a dog and they just give you a pedigree for that particular breed not necessarily for that dog ,and yet we are are told that there is nothing that can be done ....
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 10:46 AM
When I once visited a puppy farm, I was shown several litters of one breed and the breeder quite openly admitted she didn't know which dam refered to each litter but they were all KC registered. She did know the sire though, he was the only one of that breed on the premises.

I've no doubt all the KC paperwork was in order but it would have had little relevance to what was in her kennels. As others have said, it's common practice to register litters to dams that don't exist in order to comply with KC regulations.

One very good reason to support compulsory DNA profiling. It would make falsifying pedigrees very difficult....but that's a whole new thread!