Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Rear Dew Claws

I have noticed that Harry has rear dew claws, none of my other dogs have had them and I thought they were usually removed? Especially as he is docked (although his docking could have been done at a later stage after an injury?)
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:04 PM
My beagles had theirs removed before we got them,however one on Darwins back leg was missed, it gets really long and curly if i don't watch it and keep it clipped which is fun as he hates his nails being cut! He caught it a few weeks ago jumping off the settee and the vet had to pull it out,I was hoping it wouldn't grow back but it is!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I know some breeds - especially rotties (i think) have theirs removed. We're thinking of getting Benjie's removed due to his constant ripping of them. I shouldnt worry about it, some dogs have them, others dont, I think it's a breed thing
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:47 PM
We had to send one of ours to the vet to have the rear dew claws removed. I can remember one time when he got up and took half his bed with him, and then spooked at it when he turned around lol!!
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Chaos has rear dew claws and has never had any problems with them. *touches wood*!! We just have to keep an eye on the nail because it curls under as it grows.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Millie had really flappy horrible ones they were removed at the same time as she was spayed