Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:32 PM

Rear end issue

Hey everyone, am looking for a bit of advice regarding Monty's bum and apologies in advance for the unpleasant nature!

Basically ever since he got up this morning he's been licking or trying to lick his bum and at first I thought he was trying to clear his anal glands which he has done once before although i don't think he ment to do it.

Anyway this went on for a bit and I noticed that there were wet marks left on his bedding even though i know he hadn't be licking.

I got him to stand up and i lifted his tail and his bum looks quite sore and he's got a red, pus like sore about the size of a 10p there that does look uncomfortable.

He also hasn't been for a poo all day and I know he probably needs to go but even on a walk he wouldn't go and i've stood outside with him for 30 minutes to no avail.

He was fine all day yesterday so this has literally come along overnight and he seems a bit grumpy and out of sorts. He is, however eating and drinking with no issue.

Anyone got any idea what this might be or what I should do about it. I'm thinking of giving it until Tuesday and then taking him to the vets.

Any advice is very welcome and thanks in advance.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Can you feel a lump under the sore where his anal gland should be?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2010, 08:36 PM
No ideas sorry. I was thinking anal glands too.

If he has a sore it may be irritating him thats why he is licking it ll the time. Sounds like a vet visit may be in order as you say if it hasn't cleared up in a couple of days.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi Esme

with the description of that sore, personally I wouldn't leave it until Tuesday - sores like that, particularly in that kind of area, can get nasty quite quickly.

it could be that he did have a problem with his anal glands and that he's made himself sore by trying to get at them, or it could be a hot spot, or something else.

I would clean it and if you have something like sudacrem, maybe put a bit of this on (but don't let him lick it) and then get him booked into the vets for tomorrow, if possible.

Try and stop him from licking it - he's likely to make whatever it is worse by doing that.

Hope he's better soon. x
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Can you feel a lump under the sore where his anal gland should be?
There doesn't seem to be any noticeable lump. It's slightly swollen from the sore but it's not particulary raised or anything.

The sore itself is more consistent with a graze as it's quite flat.
Meg
Supervisor

25-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Esme, I would not leave it until Tuesday, Monty could have an anal abscess which may not be visible from the outside because most of it is inside the rectum .

Here is a picture of one anal abcess ...

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...26tbs%3Disch:1
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Esme, I would not leave it until Tuesday, Monty could have an anal abscess which may not be visible from the outside because most of it is inside the rectum .

Here is a picture of one anal abcess ...

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...26tbs%3Disch:1
hi mini, thanks for the link. Montys is no where near that raised but I can see it has the potential to be so I will call the vets first thing tomorrow.

He has just managed to go for a poo and it all looked normal and he didn't seem to have any discomfort in passing it - do you think this is a good sign?
Meg
Supervisor

25-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
hi mini, thanks for the link. Montys is no where near that raised but I can see it has the potential to be so I will call the vets first thing tomorrow.

He has just managed to go for a poo and it all looked normal and he didn't seem to have any discomfort in passing it - do you think this is a good sign?
Hi Esme it's good that Monty has pooed, if he has an abscess the poo could be normal and he may appear to go without too much discomfort if the abscess is still quite small.
you say..

Anyway this went on for a bit and I noticed that there were wet marks left on his bedding even though i know he hadn't be licking.

I got him to stand up and i lifted his tail and his bum looks quite sore and he's got a red, pus like sore about the size of a 10p there that does look uncomfortable.
...that sounds like it could be an anal abscess and if left they can be quite a problem requiring surgery so if it was my dog I would err on the side of caution and get it checked ASAP .
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Esme it's good that Monty has pooed, if he has an abscess the poo could be normal and he may appear to go without too much discomfort if the abscess is still quite small.
you say..

...that sounds like it could be an anal abscess and if left they can be quite a problem requiring surgery so if it was my dog I would err on the side of caution and get it checked ASAP .
Thanks for the prompt replies and good advice Mini. I'm going to ring the vets first thing and see if I can take him during my lunch or straight after work tomorrow.

If it is in it's early stages can they treat without surgery then?
Meg
Supervisor

25-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies and good advice Mini. I'm going to ring the vets first thing and see if I can take him during my lunch or straight after work tomorrow.

If it is in it's early stages can they treat without surgery then?
Hi Esme It may of course be nothing much at all or a minor problem treatable with antibiotics , but I would not want to risk leaving a possible developing anal abscess , they must be extremal painful for a dog.
It would be a good idea to learn to check and empty the anal glands yourself, it is a quick and easy procedure that takes half a minute .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >