View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Did my dog just fracture a tooth?!?!?!?!?!

She's 5 months old and I thought she was done teething, then tonight I noticed a patch of blood on the carpet.

I saw a teeny trace on her antler chew, saw a hole in her mouth and thought nothing more of it.

Just a few minutes later after I had cleaned up the blood and was putting my stuff away my husband was very alarmed to see her mouth pouring out blood!
A large amount of blood had spattered all over the carpet and over her front paws, I could hear her crunching something and my husband managed to retrieve a tooth. A large canine tooth.

It looks like its come from the front of her mouth and is a large canine, I'm worried its an adult tooth?????
It doesn't look like a small puppy tooth?

Is it normal what has happened?

Hubby can't recall this ever happening with previous dogs?

I've taken all her antlers, stagbars and anco roots off her, she's had them since a puppy and loved them, we never had any issues but I'm wondering whether I should give her veggies now as a chew instead.
She eats them all the time anyway but not as a chew toy.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Ooo I don't know. Both Remus and Tonks had blood in their mouths when teething but not a lot. Can you keep the tooth and pop her to the vets tomorrow. Maybe the vet nurse can have a look.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:26 PM
This was very different to before.
She has had teeny blood spots that have marked toys and things.
I would estimate that there was at least a dessert spoonful, possibly two of blood this time.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure hubby put it in the bin
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Mmm doesn't sound quite right.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I know :'(
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh, poor thing. Maybe she did break off a tooth! If it was a loose puppy tooth, maybe she ripped out playing too roughly.. which might have caused the extra bleeding.

It would have been wise to compare the tooth to some of her other teeth. Not put it in the trash! But what is done is done... keep an eye on her for pain etc. and I'd try and get her to a vet, he'll be able to tell whether it was an adult tooth or not by looking into the orifice it came out of.

BTW, I have a 5 month old puppy and he's still teething something serious. Neither of his top or bottom canines are in yet, and all his premolars have only partially grown in.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 10:00 PM
He did keep it!
It was in his pocket and I have it safe now

I have just tried to compare it in size to the other teeth, Penelope is sleeping at the moment.

I think, in a dogs mouth you have 4 or 5 small teeth at the front, then a long canine either side, I think this tooth is the one that goes behind that long canine.

Size wise, it's a little bigger than the tooth I think it should be next to.

It looks like a canine, the bottom looks very cracked and irregular, as if its broken off.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
He did keep it!
It was in his pocket and I have it safe now

I have just tried to compare it in size to the other teeth, Penelope is sleeping at the moment.

I think, in a dogs mouth you have 4 or 5 small teeth at the front, then a long canine either side, I think this tooth is the one that goes behind that long canine.

Size wise, it's a little bigger than the tooth I think it should be next to.

It looks like a canine, the bottom looks very cracked and irregular, as if its broken off.
She probably broke it off by accident playing with something too roughly. Well, if it's broken... nothing can be done but prevent infection and whatnot. If it's not a tiny, flimsy tooth, it's probably an adult tooth.

Their teeth, when just finished growing in, are not always super strong yet... so it's possible that she broke an adult tooth. With tons of blood, it also makes me think it's an adult tooth.

Every dog I've had except Jade has broken at least one tooth, our cats have broken teeth as well. I'd not be overly concerned about it. I'd probably take her to the vet. He might need to extract the rest of the tooth or put her on AB until it heals totally. The mouth is a great place for an infection to crop up.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 10:43 PM
What a shame, it does sound like an adult tooth and if it has broken off then something does need to be done about the remaining piece in the gum.

Even if it is a baby tooth, the fact that it has broken with jagged edges would make me think that a vet appointment is a must.

Strange tooth to break though isn't it.....but at least the big canine is still there!!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry about all this. If it was indeed an adult tooth, I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as infection is prevented. Lots of dogs have teeth extracted and do fine. Softer durable toys will probably be the way to go.

Keep us posted.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >