View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Can glucalyte make poo pink? very worried.

Done a quick search but nothing has come up.
Long story short, Nala (7mths) has had diahorrea for 4 days. Been at vets this morning and we have glucalyte to rehydrate her, the stuff is bright pink. She had at least 100ml and has just woken up from a 90 minute sleep and done a very small amount of runny poo that is predominantly pink. Is it the medicine or could it be blood? It has only been different shades of brown until now.
Also prescribed was canikur pro which I gave to her with half a JWB puppy pouch. (She is refusing kibble)
They did a blood test while we were there and said they would call us with the first result however I missed their call and they didn't leave a message! Of course now there is no answer so should I assume that the first result was OK? We have antibiotics only to administer dependent on the blood result.

I was not home all week until last night and my husband failed to notice how ill she was and hadn't told me that she had the squirts, only that she'd been sick once. She has lost 0.6kg in weight since Monday We have had a blazing row because of it so please refrain from giving me grief about not taking her to the vet sooner. I'm livid.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I can't help with the medicine side of things although it does sound like it could be the medicine that's making her poop pink (its a bit like us with beetroot ) but if its any consolation, my husband never notices when my dog is ill either

My last dog suffered with an eye ulcer and he thought she looked ok She ended up having her eye lids stitched together to help it heal. She later got another ulcer in her other eye - he didn't notice that either
Sadly this couldn't be fixed because of her age and she deteriorated rapidly, she was 18 years and 4 months. Because she was so frail, her body gave up and in the end we lost her

I don't think for one minute you are at that point and I hope Nala makes a speedy recovery. Men are just men, they don't all spot the signs as we do (not all men are the same - I don't want to cause offence ).

Here's wishing for a quick recovery

Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes it can Mollie did pink poo for nearly 6 months as a puppy when she had to take that every day. Only consolation was we could see her poo in the long grass rather more easily LOL.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes it can Mollie did pink poo for nearly 6 months as a puppy when she had to take that every day. Only consolation was we could see her poo in the long grass rather more easily LOL.
What a relief! Thank you both for your replies.
My phone was lying to me and I did have a message from the vet. He said she does have a serious infection (didn't say what) and I have started the antibiotics. Since my first post she has perked up and OH has fed her some kibble so hopefully a sign that the medicine is working
I still feel sick with worry though
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 02:05 PM
I can only say they do know just how to worry us sometimes, and we have all been there at various times with various dogs so you are not alone. That the vet has found the problem is more than half the battle won most times, so she will be fine in no time I am sure.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Poor Nala - sending loads of get-well-quick {{{vibes}}} and (((hugs))) xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I hope she soon starts to pick up. You must have been worried sick.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I can only say they do know just how to worry us sometimes, and we have all been there at various times with various dogs so you are not alone. That the vet has found the problem is more than half the battle won most times, so she will be fine in no time I am sure.
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Poor Nala - sending loads of get-well-quick {{{vibes}}} and (((hugs))) xx
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I hope she soon starts to pick up. You must have been worried sick.
Thank you! I'm so pleased to be able to turn to dogsey for reassurance and advice
Nala is definitely feeling a little better; she's had 350ml of the electrolyte solution which has really helped. Sleeping lots though.
I'm going out of my mind worrying about what this infection is though. When I told the vet that she'd just finished her first season he said there's a chance it could be a womb infection of course we won't know what the infection is until we van speak to them on Monday.

Thank you for good vibes, really appreciated xx
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Fingers crossed all is ok and the infection isn't anything major. We do worry so much about our best pals don't we? We wouldn't be without them, I love mine to bits
Hopefully now Nala is on the mend you'll have a better day tomorrow, pink poo or otherwise
Hope Bentley stays fine too, bet he's wondering what all the fuss is about

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
Thank you! I'm so pleased to be able to turn to dogsey for reassurance and advice
Nala is definitely feeling a little better; she's had 350ml of the electrolyte solution which has really helped. Sleeping lots though.
I'm going out of my mind worrying about what this infection is though. When I told the vet that she'd just finished her first season he said there's a chance it could be a womb infection of course we won't know what the infection is until we van speak to them on Monday.

Thank you for good vibes, really appreciated xx
Sleeping is good. Regarding the 'mixture' I recall when my lads were tiny and had threadworms some 30 odd yrs ago and I was given pink mixture to give them. I gave the littlest one the same dose as the older one (not realising it should be by bodyweight) and he pooed bright pink for days afterwards!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >