Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Weird puppy! Help??

So, Nigredo has this (very annoying) habit of peeing and pooping at the same time. It mainly happens with his morning pee/poo when he has to go both right away.

He'll squat to pee (5 months old) and then he'll squat to poop... WHILE STILL PEEING!! UGH!

The pee then gets all over his tummy and everything. I wipe it off with a wet cloth and whatnot, but he still ends up smelling like pee and needing a bath. Thankfully he's alright in the tub.

I have heard puppies can squat up until they are 2+ years old. I thought he'd have grown out of this by now, and learned to pee THEN poop.

But he hasn't and his pee volume is getting larger and it's disgusting frankly. I've clipped some of the fur off his belly and whatnot, but it doesn't help much.

Has ANYBODY ever had this problem... and what might I be able to do? I'm trying to keep him from having to go both at once by trying to take him out during the night

But I don't like going out at night because random dogs and mean cats are out there sometimes and are hard to see. What else can I do? It doesn't seem like a health problem.. he's just being weird...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
So, Nigredo has this (very annoying) habit of peeing and pooping at the same time. It mainly happens with his morning pee/poo when he has to go both right away.

He'll squat to pee (5 months old) and then he'll squat to poop... WHILE STILL PEEING!! UGH!

The pee then gets all over his tummy and everything. I wipe it off with a wet cloth and whatnot, but he still ends up smelling like pee and needing a bath. Thankfully he's alright in the tub.

I have heard puppies can squat up until they are 2+ years old. I thought he'd have grown out of this by now, and learned to pee THEN poop.

But he hasn't and his pee volume is getting larger and it's disgusting frankly. I've clipped some of the fur off his belly and whatnot, but it doesn't help much.

Has ANYBODY ever had this problem... and what might I be able to do? I'm trying to keep him from having to go both at once by trying to take him out during the night

But I don't like going out at night because random dogs and mean cats are out there sometimes and are hard to see. What else can I do? It doesn't seem like a health problem.. he's just being weird...
I'm not really sure what you are expecting from your puppy
What's s disgusting about him having a pee/ poo, and the quantity getting larger
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I agree I can't really see a problem that can't be solved with cleaning him and keeping his hair clipped.

Puppies poo and wee, adult dogs do more volume of poo and wee it's natural and normal.

Anyone unable to cope with that may need to rethink dog ownership.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry but I think apart from cleaning him more often there's nothing that can be done.

I have never heard of a dog weeing and pooing at the same time and if doing it together is making the pee go all over him that sounds pretty unpleasant.

Penelope doesn't do that, but she does squat for a wee and doesn't move at all until finished, that was fine when she was little but now she's bigger she wees huge puddles, the volume you'd expect from a small pony!
And it covers the bottom of her feet, she started to smell faintly like wee all the time and her nice white feet started discolouring which wasn't nice.

So I bath her every morning now, groom twice a day and spritz her with dog perfume and she smells lovely now and her feet are nice and white!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Sounds like she probably smells better than some people !

We found a baby powder smelling shampoo that is pretty wonderful the smell lasts for days.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:18 PM
It is rather lush

I have seen baby powder shampoos, Penelope has the vanilla sweet pea 'nootie' shampoo and spritz from pets at home.

I think the spritz their groomer section uses is baby powder scented.....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I will look out for that !
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Oh dear! Never heard of that before! Don't think there is anything you can do apart from take him out very very last thing and then the second he wakes its he morning....and maybe he might be less desperate to go. Or...I used to have to stand out in the back garden for ages with Remus, last thing at night, ignoring him until he pooed. Seine times it took 10-15 minutes.. But if he went then he would not be so desperate to get up first thing. I'm sure he'll grow out of it...in the meantime.....keep bathing!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't see any point in getting 'annoyed' with a dog for doing 'what comes naturally'. It might not be usual for dogs to pee and poo at the same time but obviously not unheard of. You are lucky he goes overnight.

I have to either hold Bella over the sink or stand her in the bath or shower to rinse off her feet and belly after EVERY walk (3 to 4 times a day) or at the very least use expensive dog wipes on her feet. Because of all the salt and sand here. I'm used to doing it and it was a much bigger job when I had a furry footed Cavvy. I also have to clean round her eyes after every outing because of all the sandy dust and grit that sticks to them when we are outside. Even the gutters in the roads here are full of salty sand.

It's something I didn't have to do in the UK but I've just got used to it here.
(Mind you in the UK when we'd have non stop rain for months the same thing was necessary because of all the MUD that stuck to my Cavvy).
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I don't see any point in getting 'annoyed' with a dog for doing 'what comes naturally'. It might not be usual for dogs to pee and poo at the same time but obviously not unheard of. You are lucky he goes overnight.

I have to either hold Bella over the sink or stand her in the bath or shower to rinse off her feet and belly after EVERY walk (3 to 4 times a day) or at the very least use expensive dog wipes on her feet. Because of all the salt and sand here. I'm used to doing it and it was a much bigger job when I had a furry footed Cavvy. I also have to clean round her eyes after every outing because of all the sandy dust and grit that sticks to them when we are outside. Even the gutters in the roads here are full of salty sand.

It's something I didn't have to do in the UK but I've just got used to it here.
(Mind you in the UK when we'd have non stop rain for months the same thing was necessary because of all the MUD that stuck to my Cavvy).
Salty sand...and sun.....and sand......and sun.........sounds wonderful. I am cold and shattered today after ony an hours dozing last night and I could really do with a holiday lying in the sun and dozing off. Completely off thread I know!....sorry.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >