Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2012, 02:04 AM

Travails of an old dog

New post. as we have new information. Any of your advice is much welcome.

Berkeley, who presented with stroke/vestibular disease-like symptoms (no back-and-forth of the eyes; no sideways hanging of head, but a general totally of out if it, dilated pupils, muscular limpness) is doing okay-ish. He's been to his vet: no kidney or liver disorder, no parasites as far as they can see. He is tired all the time. His body, usually quite trim, has changed shape: he is now host to a fatty lump that didn't used to trouble him and a saggy I don't know what, but his abdomen, normally small, is a great big thing. I hope it is not causing him any pain what with its growth over the last two weeks.

Next step is Vet School. This is Glasgow: it's an excellent facility. He'll be going in tomorrow morning. Cardiologists first, then anyone they think should see him.

We have insurance. He is covered. Anyone: can you think of something I should ask them? He is old: check. Arthritis? No. Check. Anything else? I don't know.

I love Berkeley more than I can ever possibly tell. This is the first time he has been seriously ill. You have been here. I thank you so much for your advice.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 05:51 AM
I don't have any advice but hoping that Berkeley can have a hopeful diagnosis.

That's the downside of dogs they grow old.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I know you love your dog but please do not allow him to go a day more than is necessary if his illness is long term, weight up all these checks and possible interventions with an ill and confused dog who has little concept of what is going on.
My old boy had very similar situation to yours and we agreed with the vet that any treatment would not improve his quality of life so he was put to sleep, obviously i hope yours is not the same and is easily treatable but just keep the idea that your final act of love for Berkeley may have to be the above.
Hope it goes well.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 07:18 AM
No idea, sorry, but I hope that your news is good.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Has he had an abdominal scan? If not - insist on one?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Thinking of Berkeley, hope all goes well.
LupiLu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2012, 10:03 AM
So sorry to hear this. It's always heartbreaking when they get old and start to 'fail'. I can't offer any advice and I do hope Berkeley can be helped but do weigh up the stress of treatment against the best possible outcome and make your decisions from that. We too have an old dog and we just try to appreciate her and give her all the love and the best possible life we can. All the best.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Would imagine that the stroke type thing might be a different kind of brain episode, happened to one of mine. It could be caused by growths.

rune
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks, everyone. Don't worry, Astle9. The only thing that would be worse than losing him would be keeping him in pain.

Just about to go speak with them.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I do hope that you have some positive news, but very often when an old dog starts to "go wrong" it is the beginning of a slippery downward slope.

Thinking of you.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >