View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:14 AM

does your dog hate touching certain things?

I have been teaching Rio some tricks, and one of them is recognising colours. She can pick out red, yellow and blue rubber rings and will touch them with her paw, but I wanted to teach her to bring them to me. The problem is she won't touch rubber or vinyl with her mouth! She will only pick up toys that are furry. Could this be an age thing? She has her adult teeth and her gums don't look sore (plus she can crunch through bones no problem). Loki wouldn't touch anything plastic and wouldn't pick up a tennis ball if it had sand or dirt on it (bless him). Dopes anyone else have a dog that doesn't like the feel of their toys?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Monty isn't overly keen on rubber type toys, with the exception of his kong.

Also not toy related but he will point blank refuse to walk through muddy puddles. I've had to carry him across a few before when there's been no other way round. I always walk through them in my wellies to show him they are ok and he is getting better but he hates having dirty feet.

He's also the only dog I've met who doesn't like the wind in his face when the car window is open!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Daisy didn`t like the plastic dumbell till a trainer gave me the tip of winding string soaked in Oxo round it.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:40 AM
When I first give Ben a chew bone (the raw hide type) he does this weird thing with his mouth, he will open it and grab the bone like it gives him an electric shock, Once he has it he's fine.....it's like it goes through him, you know, like us with tin foil..Arrrrrrrhhhhhh
Elaine xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Cassie hates Cardboard and will not go near the stuff, she also isn't that keen on the rubber toys. she will pick them up but has this strange look of distaste while doing it!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 10:55 AM
My first two basenji's hated picking up rubber toys but my current ones don't seem to mind.

They love cardboard, especially boxes.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Poppy won't touch any rubber toys. The money I've wasted on toys!!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Rio loves cardboard. Boxes have saved many other items from being chewed in their place. Loki liked cardboard and paper as a pup and even ate OH's car logbook when he was waiting for a buyer to come round ah happy days, bless him!