Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Old dog with slow reacting eyes.

Smooky our border collie is 12 years old.
Of late he's getting a bit slow (which is to be expected bless him)He does occasionally just pee where he stands (old age again ) and gets confused/forgetful.
But today, we have noticed his eyes look odd.
The seem glazed, like he is out of focus, slightly watery and like he has just woken up and can't open his eyes properly for a time.We are taking him to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone know what it may be??
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
It could be any number of things at his age so I wouldn't like to just guess. I think it's best left for your vet to diagnose. Good luck with the appointment and please let us know how you get on.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Don't know what it is but well done for taking him straight to the vet in spite of his age, my current dog has a chronic eye infection, because his previous owners asumed it was just old age & didn't get it treated straight away. To be honest I myself asumed that when I had him but took him to the vets for a complete checkover & advice. I was worried about his weight & ears they were only really concerned about his eyes.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Ah hope he gets on alright and you get it sorted out, let us know how you get on.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
It sounds as if he might benefit from some medication such as Vivitonin or similar, which is beneficial for ageing dogs and can help to boost the blood supply to the brain so that they get a gentle new lease of life.

I found it very helpful for one of my dogs :smt001