Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Furminator?

Anyone ever used one of these? What are your thoughts? Good, bad or indifferent?
http://www.furminator.com/testbed/indexnew.html
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
that video looks scary ....

those things are sharp
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! I have one and it is the best brush that I have ever bought!!!! I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT!!! :smt023

No they arent sharp. You can run them over your own skin. It will remove hair on short haired dogs (like pits for example) as well as long haired dogs and cats too. All that it is is the comb from a hair trimmer...well sorta....but it works great!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
that video looks scary ....

those things are sharp
It claims it doesn't cut the hair. I've never seen one "in the flesh" am curious to know if they are good, or maybe damage the coat over time...

Originally Posted by AussieGeek View Post
THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! I have one and it is the best brush that I have ever bought!!!! I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT!!!
I'm tempted to get one for my two. It would be great to cut down on the hair about the house. Thanks for the recommendation. It doesn't damage the coat over time does it?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
It has had mixed reviews from Newfie owners on a US breed specific forum. However, one professional groomer tried it and didn't like it because it stripped out the guard hairs when the aim was to take out dead undercoat so I'll give it a miss and stick to my usual (and much cheaper ) tools I believe it works better on shorter coated dogs, though.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 04:23 PM
These are great for use on very short haired dogs such as Labradors, Rottweillers, Mastiffs, German Shorthaired Pointers, Dobermanns etc.

I don't find they are all that great on long or double coated breeds, I wouldn't use them at all on these types on dogs.

My wee multi-pedigree is black, and her undercoat is brown, I had a go and using it on her (a tiny part of her on an inconspicuous area ) and it removed a good bit of the black hair and left her with a brown patch! Thankfully, it covered up again quite quickly.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Agree they are good for short coated dogs not so good on long haired and would never use on a wire coat that required stripping
bonio
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I have read the same as the two posts above. Although I did also read a few posts saying it worked on various collies. I was looking in regard to my cocker spaniel and owners said it was not good on a cockers coat.

I have also read people say on really short coats, sensitive skin or boney (rib, back) like Grey Hounds they can be too harsh.

These are not my views but comments on other sites when I was looking about them. Of course other people said they were amazing on every coat.

So probably not that helpful an answer but thats all I could really find when I was looking.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Hmmm.
I'm tempted to buy one in the future for my two, both short haired. It's the price that puts me off, cos if it does prove to be no good then it's alot of money wasted....
But then again if it's good, it's money well spent.

I'm so indecisive!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi
i have just got one it turned up today so iwill be trying it out on my jrts and prts so will let you now how i go if i can get a pic i will do and will post.

wish me luck ...lol

sam

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Hmmm.
I'm tempted to buy one in the future for my two, both short haired. It's the price that puts me off, cos if it does prove to be no good then it's alot of money wasted....
But then again if it's good, it's money well spent.

I'm so indecisive!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >