View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2015, 02:04 AM
Sadly we cannot afford the surgery suggested for Callie. Hopefully since he's young and we're careful with him...he used to propel himself out the screen door, not good for his head or legs, and we lift him onto the bed...paws crossed his knees don't get worse. But the surgery would cost $6000, even with several charities we can't come close to that much. Insurance won't cover it because it's considered a pre-existing condition. I certainly agree people need to consider such possibilities when adopting. We have low cost clinics for shots so that's not bad. Maybe $20 for each dog a year. But major stuff like knee replacement can be an incredible expense.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Sadly we cannot afford the surgery suggested for Callie. Hopefully since he's young and we're careful with him...he used to propel himself out the screen door, not good for his head or legs, and we lift him onto the bed...paws crossed his knees don't get worse. But the surgery would cost $6000, even with several charities we can't come close to that much. Insurance won't cover it because it's considered a pre-existing condition. I certainly agree people need to consider such possibilities when adopting. We have low cost clinics for shots so that's not bad. Maybe $20 for each dog a year. But major stuff like knee replacement can be an incredible expense.
Heart is with you on this. And you are doing so well with him. It was a decision I made with collie. One of the cat rescue organisations I was in touch with argue that you should not take on a critter unless, and they list costs that I find way above reality FOR ME. Would hate any old wan to avoid taking in cat or dog because of that.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Ellie the Papillon. Oh boy. Wonderfully healthy until the age of 12, by which time the insurance premium was large, but a good investment.

She walked into a branch and popped her eyeball. Yes it was as horrific as it sounds. Insurance paid for initial emergency vet, pain relief etc., but only offered to pay for the vets first choice of eye removal. We went with an eye surgeon and an incredibly fiddly operation and a bill of over two grand. Worth every penny.
Later on she got epilepsy, and was on drugs at £10 a week for a couple of years. By that time we weren't happy to pay the outrageous premiums asked and funded that ourselves.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Ty my staffie I have paid little out where as Cassie my American bull dog x who is 7 I have literally paid thousands she has had 3 knee surgeries removal of hysteocytoma a mass cell tumour she has blood in her urine that the vet can't explain and is on anti inflammatory drugs for life now as she's crippled with arthritis unfortunately I have payed most of this out my own pocket as I stopped her insurance due to them excluding everything
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Holly 7 year old Border Collie
Around £400 when my other dog (who I no longer have) ripped into her leg so you could nearly see the ligaments. It would of cost more but my vets don't charge to see a dog after about 2 visits for the same condition. This was about 5 years ago.
A couple of months ago she had test which cost £120, turns out she has a weak bladder. She is on medication for the rest of her life which cost £44 a month. Plus she has to go for a check up every 6 months.
She had a bug years ago, can't remember the name of it. I guess that visit cost about £50-£60.
Plus boosters. Although she hasn't had one of them for a few years. So about another £200.
Plus spay which cost around £250.

Ted well we rehomed him so no idea about the first 10 months of his life. He is a 2 year old Shih Tzu.
£40 to check out some scabs he has.
£4 to get a tick off him. Never ever found a tick on any of my dogs before this.
£40 for his booster.

I think that's about it.
Janet L
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I've spent thousands on my Alsatian. He has various health problems,his worst being his epilepsy. We're going through a really bad time with it at the moment and he's just been prescribed keppra on top of his pexion and phenobarb. I just hope it works for him!!
JustCause
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Have a 12 yr old American Eskimo, and I'd guess about $15,000 USD. Was poisoned when just 1 yr old, that was about $5,000, $30 per month on high quality, grain free food, shots, annual exam, attempts at treating arthritis, dental cleanings, grooming, boarding, etc.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2