Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
No I don't but it has been suggested that all Stafford breeders should stop for several years until the rescue situation has got better.
It's so hard isn't it?
The good breeders need to carry on surely? Not everyone is going to want a rescue dog and surely (thinking aloud) by banning the breeding, people will just go to another breed...and of course how do you regulate and police the unregulated? 8,000 (and as I am typing I am seeing your point) is nothing compared to 44,000 labs. Most staffis are unregsitered. I actually also think there are a scary number of labs that are unregistered too....

I think we agree (see I am waking up lol ) I don't see the point of a ban on breeding from the good guys. It won't help. There needs to be something done across all breeds about registering pups/dogs.

I am gobsmacked at the numbers of Labs and Cockers being bred to be honest...and the low numbers (apparently.... ) of staffis and collies.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It's so hard isn't it?
The good breeders need to carry on surely? Not everyone is going to want a rescue dog and surely (thinking aloud) by banning the breeding, people will just go to another breed...and of course how do you regulate and police the unregulated? 8,000 (and as I am typing I am seeing your point) is nothing compared to 44,000 labs. Most staffis are unregsitered. I actually also think there are a scary number of labs that are unregistered too....

I think we agree (see I am waking up lol ) I don't see the point of a ban on breeding from the good guys. It won't help. There needs to be something done across all breeds about registering pups/dogs.

I am gobsmacked at the numbers of Labs and Cockers being bred to be honest...and the low numbers (apparently.... ) of staffis and collies.
This is my opinion also.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh my. 44,000 Labs. 23,000 cocker spaniels. That's madness...and they are the registered ones. There are so many labs in rescue
I would imagine there are around the same amount of unregistered cockerpoo type dogs too!

And the staffie figure is amazingly low - I definitely see at least as many staffies as labs round here.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
I would imagine there are around the same amount of unregistered cockerpoo type dogs too!

And the staffie figure is amazingly low - I definitely see at least as many staffies as labs round here.
Ah yes...the cockerpoos,labradoodles, floodles, sprollies...
Given the number of staffis in rescue the figure is very low
I see more collies here than anything else.
A quick look at a certain site that sells puppies will show that the collie and staffi numbers are really really low.
Oh and Cockers...

Just thinking about it...I don't think where I live is indicative of things nationally as I have 2 Flatties and our neighbour has one as does someone a few streets away. There are only on average about 1500 if that born of them each year lol
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Baring in mind that any muscle dog brindle with a smooth coat is often classed as a stafford or stafford cross.

Many I would dispute.

Stafford cross lab was a very popular cross at one time but always described as a stafford cross or heavan forbid" type".
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Ah yes...the cockerpoos,labradoodles, floodles, sprollies...
Given the number of staffis in rescue the figure is very low
I see more collies here than anything else.
A quick look at a certain site that sells puppies will show that the collie and staffi numbers are really really low.
Oh and Cockers...

Just thinking about it...I don't think where I live is indicative of things nationally as I have 2 Flatties and our neighbour has one as does someone a few streets away. There are only on average about 1500 if that born of them each year lol
I have heard of some amazing poodle crosses recently - it seems they will cross a poodle in with ANYTHING now!

Schnoodle, Lhasapoo, Cavapoo, bishonpoo....
Infact sadly I think these make up around 50-60% of new puppies that come in to PAH.

And we have loads of staffies - you just have to look at the notice board at PAH to see hardly anyone goes to a reputable breeder for a staffie anymore 'Big stocky rare blue staffs for sale' etc...

It is such as shame as it does a disservice to the breed. I met a lady a couple of weeks ago who has a lab. She wanted an EBT which she always had as a kid, but she said with the stigma she couldnt take one to the school gates with her. Now she is thinking of rehoming the lab as she cant handle it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Baring in mind that any muscle dog brindle with a smooth coat is often classed as a stafford or stafford cross.

Many I would dispute.

Stafford cross lab was a very popular cross at one time but always described as a stafford cross or heavan forbid" type".
Yep. We agree again.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
All these crosses yet the weird thing is that I can't remember the like time I just saw an actual poodle! Makes you wonder where all the dogs are that are creating these crosses, probably locked up in some puppy mill because they're not out being walked
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2