Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Taz
My heart really goes out to you,your post made me cry
our dog Buster has dementia and its constantly on my mind about what will happen to him.He is a lovely Heinz 57 aged 14 and we have had him since he was 3 mths old,along with his"sister " Lulu who we lost in January
He is,at the moment physically fine-enjoying his walks,his food and he still recognises us

All I can say to you is that personally if Buster were to deteriorate and be as your Selkie is,we would have to consider having him put to sleep as I we couldnt bear to see him losing his dignity like that and having such a poor quality of life

I am concerned that your vet considers Selkies condition as just old age ,the dementia itself can be very distressing,both to the owners and the dog-without incontinence as well

I would consider using another vet-we have discussed Busters condition with our vets who are very understanding and who we trust to advice us-and I say advise ,NOT order,which is what yours seems to be doing
I do hope that you make the right decision and will be thinking of you-please P.M me if it will help you in any way.

Have just found a photo of Selkie on 1 of your posts and she is absolutely gorgeous
You are in my thought s and prayers
Maureen
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I really feel for you.

You know I think that we had to make this decision with Ollie recently. He had tests it was necessary for the tests he was a young dog and there was in the beginnning the hope that he would get better also the vet that dealt with him was hopeful.
It soon became apparent that was not the case and we watched him decline but not to a point where he had no dignity or quality of life left.

I feel your vet is not being very supportive or helpful to you at all. This is always such a hard decisioon for us.

I really feel tests for your elderly dog that is already failing in health would not be the best road to go down they can be stressful and also the anaeshtic for an elderly dog and an ill dog would most likely not be of benefit to her.

Reading between the lines I fell you know the time has come and it sounds that way readng your post.

Personally if you feel she has now had enough I would seek advice elsewhere. Those of us that have had to go down this road ourselves know that we do not do this lightly it is the hardest part of owning pets knowing when they have had enough and when to let them go.

Only you know how you feel she is coping and if you feel the time is right then it is if you feel you still need to give her another chance then that is right too but do not do it for the sake of a vets opinion which you seem to be questioning.

You know we are here to support you whatever your decision and I am sending (((hugs))). X
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I will tell you what I would do if I and my dog was in this position.

I would NOT be paying for unecessary and pointless tests, I would go to another vet.

If this was MY dog I would have it PTS.

I am not sure if this helps any, but that is my own personal view. It may not be everybody's but IMHO you have nothing to reproach yourself for.
Agree totally with this.

I really dont think it is fair to put her through these tests. It will just put her through unnecessary anaesthetic and will not prolong her life.
Make the decision whilst you still can, before it is taken from you, that way you can do it how you want and in your own time.
I dont think there is anything wrong with having a dog pts at the vets so long as they are not stressed out by vet visits. As long as you are there, that is the main thing.
I think you need to talk to your vet and say (dont ask) that the time has come to end her suffering. Vets have a duty of care and i'm afraid if this was my vet, and they still refused to do it after being asked, i would be reporting them to the relevant body.

((((hugs))))
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Such a sad sad position to be in

I really feel for you. If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to do what was best & to me that would be to let her drift off to the bridge to wait for you there.

Huge hugs to you both

xxxx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Really feel for you as it's never an easy decision to make. If it was my dog in this situation I would let her go. Better a day too early than a minute too late {{{hugs}}}
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I think you feel in your Heart that its time to let her go As others have said, it is not your vets decision to make, it is yours and only you know Selkie well enough to know if shes had enough. I wouldn't put her through tests either, its not fair on either of you xxx

Sending you strength and (((Hugs)))

Jann xxx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:05 PM
My Rosie had dementia, she was just 10 years old when first diagnosed, once she got to the stage of not recognising me, spending probably 23 hours a day pacing, I knew it was time, it absolutely broke my heart having to make that choice and a part of me died with her that day, but I know it was the right thing and the right time, no more suffering. You do keep questioning yourself if you are doing the right thing, now 13 months on I know I did, but it still hurts. She was just 1 week away from her 11th birthday.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I really feel for you but I think from reading your post you are feeling it is Selkies time and it sounds like Selkie may be feeling the same too.
It is your decision but I can only say if it were me I would be going to the vets to let her go with the little dignity she has left. I certainly wouldn't be putting her through stressful tests at this point.
If your vet won't listen then I would be seeking out a vet that had my animals welfare at heart and realized I knew my dog better than they do. Is there not another vet at the practice you could see?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I am so sorry for you having to make such a decision. I truly believe you owe it to Selkie to give her dignity and let her go in a peaceful way. It is never an easy thing to do and most of us on this thread has had to make this decision. If you do the tests and she dosent come round, you will feel so guilty, if you have Selkie PTS, you have the chance to say goodbye.
In you heart of hearts I think you know what to do and if your vet will not respect you and your wishes, find a different vet, one who isn't perhaps motivated by other things.
Take care, my thoughts are with you.
xxx
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:37 PM
How I feel for you, but you're the one who knows Selkie, the best, who lives with her... not the vet.
Not an easy decision to make, but I also wouldn't put my dog through a whole load of tests in this situation
Follow your instincts and heart, if you feel that Selkie is tired now, then it's time to let her run free,
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »