Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gingerrodgers
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Malaseb or alternative

does anyone know an alternative to malaseb, my westie has used this shampoo from the vets for some years and the cost has gone higher and higher for the stuff. I called the vets today and was told it was £21.50 for a bottle and if i wanted a private script so i could by it on line i would need to see the vet and then pay £13.50 for a script. Really angry with our vets so has anyone any alternative suggestions. She has James Wellbeloved food and eats no other food other than a few treats and raw carrots.
Help please with suggestions, someone suggested Hibiscrub?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:48 PM
hi

can i ask why you are bathing your dog?

..... yes ,hibiscrub can be used as an alternative but it can be drying.
gingerrodgers
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:08 PM
we were told to bath her every two to four weeks with malaseb, we havent used it for a while as we ran out and her skin is really scabby and when you brush her she bleeds. The shampoo has kept her skin quiet good as well as the james wellbeloved food and her daily antiistamine she is usually okay.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Sounds to me like she would actually benefit more if you used the Epi Soothe,because it's got oats in it,and it's more soothing for her sore skin than the malaseb, BUT, once again it's about £17 from my vet

I've used a coal tar type shampoo on mine in the past which has soothed his skin considerably. Alternatively, try a cheaper version of a shampoo which has oatmeal in it, and I'm sure you can get something at Boots. I think that Hibiscrub would be too drying and too severe for your dog's skin at the moment which sounds like it's red and sore. Once you've calmed it all down, then if you feel you need to eliminate any infection or whatever is lurking, then try the coal tar perhaps?

Personally, I'd opt for the Epi Soothe as it works wonders on my dog who suffers with atopy (wet ecezma, pyoderma etc.) Good luck and hope that helps.
gingerrodgers
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions it is very much appreciated, hopefully we can get her sorted without feeding the till at the vets
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:26 PM
This is similiar to Malseb but a lot cheaper

http://www.dogforlife.co.uk/store/de...oo-p-1566.html
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:26 PM
.... have you used flea control?
...i wouldnt be bathing your dog if she is bleeding without finding out why.you say you have been told to use it every few weeks..why?...when was the last time you was at the vets?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
.... have you used flea control?
...i wouldnt be bathing your dog if she is bleeding without finding out why.you say you have been told to use it every few weeks..why?...when was the last time you was at the vets?
It could be the same as Georgie used to be, he would bleed and he had to be bathed once a week for years in fact as instructed by my vet at the time, but I didn't actually stick rigidly to it. I think westies often suffer with the very same thing my Georgie has, it's quite common with them in fact, so maybe, this poor dog has the ongoing problem?! Dunno, just guessing here!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
This is similiar to Malseb but a lot cheaper

http://www.dogforlife.co.uk/store/de...oo-p-1566.html
where are the active ingredients?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It could be the same as Georgie used to be, he would bleed and he had to be bathed once a week for years in fact as instructed by my vet at the time, but I didn't actually stick rigidly to it. I think westies often suffer with the very same thing my Georgie has, it's quite common with them in fact, so maybe, this poor dog has the ongoing problem?! Dunno, just guessing here!
im very aware of whwt skin conditions.... sometimes people overlook the obvious and i think self diagnosis should be avoided.using the wrong shampoo with wrong ingredients could hinder rather than help so i was looking for more info

.... the other thing people overlook with skin is flea allergy..often is hand in hand with sensitive skin and is easily dealt with,that can make the 'skin bleed' when you brush it and do not need to see fleas for it to be so. always with a 'flare up' its best to think have all the animals in the house been treated and the environment with a 'reputable' product....as the heating goes on round now,and fleas that have been dormant wake up and party
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >