Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
The amount of food can also have an affect. Soft/runny poos are a sign that the food is going through too quickly and the intestines don't have time to remove the excess liquid to make the poo solid.

Do you feed twice a day and if so, how much does he get at each meal?

It may be that you need to look at giving him a food where the feeding guidelines are lower than your existing food so that he gets the same quantity of 'goodness' but in a smaller quantity.

Ironically adding warm water to dried food can also help the digestion system process kibble better than when it is dry.

PS I agree with the others re dentastix - I have found that they are not good for dogs with sensitive tums.
He gets two meals a day. the bag recommends 380g for a 20kg dog but we give him just over 400g, so 200g each serve because he's so skinny and doesn't keep his weight on very well (he dropped 2kgs after castration and has stayed the same ever since).

What do you think about that?

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Pidge have you tried fish4dogs treats, if he's doing ok on a fish kibble he should be ok with them, they're only dried fish skins made into cubes.
Yep, love them as does he but we obviously stopped as were told to stick to just his kibble and then introduce things.

We've also explored the food storage option as were just topping up the old (see my treat bag thread) so that's now stopped to see if it helps.

I just want to know if it's something to be worried about and if so how to stop it!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
This may seem a bit off the wall.. But the frothy thing made me think.. Kismet gets frothy poo, (that foams up when I hose it down in the garden)..

It took me a while to work it out, but the other day I had a eureka moment!.. I noticed the patch of patio I had hosed had gone all sparkly! Closer inspection showed the little glittery bits to be bits of crushed snail shell!!!

Sure enough watching Kismet in the day... She hunts down all the pots and eats snails! Mystery solved!

I have asked the neighbour to make sure he doesn't put slug pellets down and left her to it!
LOL, it's defo not snails ;o)

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
What a load of old tosh your vet is spouting, talk about trying to make money out of you.
Firstly ditch the dentastix they are well known for giving dogs squitty bums. I have only tried them once and never again.
Try a tripe stick instead.
I think it may well be allergy related, and the ZD diet range may be ok IF Woody is not sensitive to any of its ingredients.
I would start with trying some good old Chappie as its brilliant for tummys and also for bladder problems, not that woody has them.
If Woody is still loose a week after using Chappie and NO OTHER TREATS then try something like Nature diet or wafcol Salmon and potatoe.
As you know I have been through endless problems with Milo. So I would suggest if either Chappie, wafcol or ND don't help then, get some allergy tests done.
Woody does not need to be opened up though definetly not at this stage.
An endoscopy can always be done, if not by your vet by a referral vet.
It was the endoscopy that revealed Milos problems, but even so we still had to find the food he could tolerate the best.
Go down the food route first, but you must be very strict and make sure not one morsel of anything else passes his lips.
The only thing I would say regarding Chappie is it is not Wheat/Gluten free and its the wheat/gluten that many dogs are intolerant of.
Good luck its not an easy thing to sort, but if I can be of any help at all then please don't hesitate to pm me or just shout.
I'm not too sure about the chappie because of the wheat/gluten thing.

So, because I have over £70 worth of food left do we think it's best to leave him on it but swap the DS' for something more natural?

Bloody vets are very annoying! you'd like to think if there is one set of professionals in the world you can trust it's them!! *ducks from Tupac and other vet profs ;o)*
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
He gets two meals a day. the bag recommends 380g for a 20kg dog but we give him just over 400g, so 200g each serve because he's so skinny and doesn't keep his weight on very well (he dropped 2kgs after castration and has stayed the same ever since).

Yep, love them as does he but we obviously stopped as were told to stick to just his kibble and then introduce things.

We've also explored the food storage option as were just topping up the old (see my treat bag thread) so that's now stopped to see if it helps.

I just want to know if it's something to be worried about and if so how to stop it!!
Personally I think this may be the problem. 200g of kibble in one go is quite a lot for a dog his size to digest. As an example, Burns feeding guideline for a 20kg dog is 300g per day.

Ironically giving him more probably isn't helping because if his body isn't able to process it, it is just going straight through him. Sometimes its a case of less is more

The fact that he is otherwise fit and healthy - no scratching etc. makes me also think that it is less likely to be intolerance to the food, but more just not being able to process it properly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I thought frothy/bubbly diarrhoea was caused by gas forming bacteria in the intestines, not food intolerance
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Forgot to add, he is a real scavenger. Mainly certain weeds and bark/wood things but also stones, brick, concrete and plants in the garden.

Of course we do everything to stop him but that doesn't mean he wont give it his best shot!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
This may seem a bit off the wall.. But the frothy thing made me think.. Kismet gets frothy poo, (that foams up when I hose it down in the garden)..

It took me a while to work it out, but the other day I had a eureka moment!.. I noticed the patch of patio I had hosed had gone all sparkly! Closer inspection showed the little glittery bits to be bits of crushed snail shell!!!

Sure enough watching Kismet in the day... She hunts down all the pots and eats snails! Mystery solved!

I have asked the neighbour to make sure he doesn't put slug pellets down and left her to it!
I wouldn't let my dogs eat slugs or snails as they can get lung worm from them
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Personally I think this may be the problem. 200g of kibble in one go is quite a lot for a dog his size to digest. As an example, Burns feeding guideline for a 20kg dog is 200g per day - not per meal.

Ironically giving him more probably isn't helping because if his body isn't able to process it, it is just going straight through him. Sometimes its a case of less is more

The fact that he is otherwise fit and healthy - no scratching etc. makes me also think that it is less likely to be intolerance to the food, but more just not being able to process it properly.
So, do we swap the food or reduce the one we have? If so, down to what each serve would you say?

Re the scratching, do you mean his skin? He scratches the ground constantly. We call it scrabbling and thought it was him nesting but he does it alot, carpet and tiles.

p.s. have just googled Wafcol, thanks.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I wouldn't let my dogs eat slugs or snails as they can get lung worm from them
Her wormer covers lungworm and there's really no stopping her
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

. !!

Maybe part of your problem.

My Boxers get 175 g twice a day of AG ...

200g sounds a lot for such a small dog.

Maybe reduce the amount and give it three times a day instead..smaller meals , smaller portions.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry if it has been mentioned already, but could he possibly have an overactive thyroid?
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »