View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2010, 01:17 PM
This story is so sad, I feel for the womans family and cant imagine what she must of gone through.
R.I.P Barbara Williams.
I really wonder what happen or could of triggered such an attack, it is such a tragedy.

I also have never heard of this breed, and from what I have googled the pictures all showing a very large mastiff type dog.
The media is upto its old tricks again though, On the front of the different articles I have seen one pic of a staffy, and a pic of a neo mastiff.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Have to say i agree, I saw a poor Mastiff x being hauled around the busy city centre the other day - yes with all the christmas shoppers etc, it is horrible to stereotype and I am prepared to admit I may be wrong but huge chain type lead with massive studded collar and the 2 legged end of the lead was drinking from can of lager and shaved head with loads of tattoos (again I do not mean to cause offence to anyone who fits that description but when combined with all the factors it makes me jump to conclusions ) Anyway the dog looked extremely unhappy and on edge and it was surrounded by hundreds of bustling jostling shoppers
A disaster waiting to happen.......

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Heard the story on the news this morning. I can't help it, but my first thought is "how was the dog treated."
And my first thought too...... deed, not breed.

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Nothing wrong in taking dogs through town,Tyler and Meg are often walked through our town,both onleads and walking to heel.
But Sal, I assume your dogs are comfortable with it. The dog referred to was obviously not......

Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
I just saw that on the news as well, apparently the pup has been taken into police custody. I really hope it is ok and safe from being destroyed Unfortunatly if they find out it is related to the dog which done the attack, they will likely destroy it.
Poor bubby. Hoping for the best!
I think it unlikely that it will be allowed to live if they suspect even remotely that it is related......

This is a very sad case, and happened not two miles away from me......

I can't imagine a worse death than being mauled by an animal, whatever the species. My thoughts are with Barbara's family at this sad time.

I'll reserve judgement on what actually happened until there's more news on the circumstances
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Horrific - my thoughts are with the poor woman and her family
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I'm confused why are people more worried about the dog than the person killed. Or more interested in the puppy than the 5 year old that was also in the house? Some dog owners are too quick to say poor dog and it wasn't the dogs fault etc forgetting the human tragedy involved.
Because yet again, a dog pays the ultimate price for the fault of his human owner (and possibly breeder) - with his life.

There is a very good chance:
  • This attack was avoidable
  • This attack was due to irresponsible or incorrect upbringing or breeding
  • The dog (and the woman) would still be alive if it was brought up/bred responsibly and kept in proper conditions.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree, 99% of dog attacks are avoidable.

The dogs breeding and/or living conditions may have contributed to her death, but we shouldnt forget that this dog killed a person- now for a dog to inflict an obviously sustained attack on an adult, and to kill her, is horrendous.
As for the pup removed- if it is of an 'unknown' mastiff type- similar to the one that attacked, then i hope it is pts.

From media reports i have heard, it seems the owner of the dog was a lodger at the womans house.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They have been crossing Pit Bulls, Stafford and Bullmastiffs with Presa's, Cane Corso's etc to try and "recreate" this breed for ages! Silly devils, was always going to happen.
Totally agree with this, a disaster waiting to happen with this mix
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Because yet again, a dog pays the ultimate price for the fault of his human owner (and possibly breeder) - with his life.

• The dog (and the woman) would still be alive if it was brought up/bred responsibly and kept in proper conditions.
No-one knows what happened this is speculation. Poor woman still lost her life
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

I agree with that, except with some dogs they can and do just attack for no apparent reason, giving no warning. Dogs of such "types" are very quick in their reactions and very difficult to stop when they go.

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Totally agree with this, a disaster waiting to happen with this mix
I know, I believe they also used the English Mastiff.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I'm confused why are people more worried about the dog than the person killed. Or more interested in the puppy than the 5 year old that was also in the house? Some dog owners are too quick to say poor dog and it wasn't the dogs fault etc forgetting the human tragedy involved.

I hope that if the puppy is deemed dangerous it is PTS. If not the liklihood as there are so many in shelters it would anyway as finding a home for a dog deemed to come from a dangerous home is unlikely.

Every dog attack effects us all as owners. It effects public perceptions of dogs and owners and reinforces silly laws such as the dog control orders in some parks.

The police are looking for the owner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12072694
A dangerous puppy ! Are you being serious?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
A dangerous puppy ! Are you being serious?
My thoughts exactly
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »