View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Only just seen this! Im so glad you found him after this time, it seems like fate!
Cant wait to hear more of him when he comes home xx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Any news?...........
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes yes - I want to know - do you have him?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Come on Denise, we want pictures and the low down!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Just caught this. How lovely. Is he home and safe?
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Mirk is home!

Sorry Ive been so slow to update - its been a tricky few days.

Thank you all for your lovely messages and good wishes.

Mirk is as thin as any living thing i have seen. He is not a well boy. He is deaf, mostly blind, very very smelly, has some growths, drinks an awfull lot of water and is showing some signs of dementia, as well as a mild cough en exertion.

He had all his mats and poo balls removed and was bathed Tuesday in his tempory home before coming here, so looks loads better than last time I saw him.

What is left of his dense coat, will take weeks of gentle brushing to get sorted, though he appears to like being brushed and just stands obligingly whilst I do it.

He is clearly revelling in all the luxury and strokes of his new home. He has rolled in the snow, been romping as best he can in the fields, met some new dog friends and chewed a rather frosty bone that has been in the garden for a while! He has got used to four small meals a day and is slowly being weaned off his cumpulsion to drink a whole bowl of water every time he passes one.

From day one I have been convinced that I MUST not get attached to him, he is old and and will die and I will be all broken up again. I realised last night that there is NO WAY I can not fall completly in live with him again. He is lovely. He wags his tail everytime he sees me move or look at him. And he is coping really well with things he must cope with, like being left inside when I fetch coal, go to the car, take the other dogs out on their long walks. he has already got used to his crate, it seem to him it is always full of food .

Today he me in the room I was in and went onto one of the other beds in the dining room, with one of the other dogs. A great sign - he is trusting me enough to leave me and doing what the other dogs do, to fit in. He loves dog beds.

We had four indoor wee's on night one. two on day two and none today. He wee's loads, due to his drinking. Im not sure if he drinks because he been without water before or becausee he has an internal problem. I will get blood test done later next week to find out. But he seems to be drinking a bit less now.

Connor doesn't really like him, but last night, Connor being Connor decided he wasn't going to let a smelly dog who doesn't really interact ruin his life, and today chose to resume normal playfull, silly, happy, behaviour. Today he tried hard to get Mirk to play, but Mirk was tired and slept or pretended to sleep through his attempts.

Cloud however, will be a harder nut to crack. She really doesnt like Mirk, (interesting becasue she loved him all those years ago), or the fact that he is straying unnervingly close to all her bone burial mounds. There have been a few minor scuffles between them all, but Mirk deals with it all well, by just freezing and staying frozen. Slowly Clouds frost is being thawed. They seem to both sense that this dog is different to our usual visitors, and taking up more of my time than any other. That I think, is why they are playing "hard to get" on the friendship front.

I don't expect this to be an easy ride. But I cant tell you of the satisfaction and feel good factor, that rescuing a dog again brings. There is NOTHING in my life more rewarding or purposefull than helping a dog back to "life". I will do all I can to make sure whatever days, weeks, months or years this boy has he is never again, cold, unnecessarily wet or hungry. Its simply the best thing that I have done in years and years, in fact, since I last got a rescue. And I slept better the last two nights than I have in all the weeks since I first saw Mirk again in such a state.

Photos IM afraid are slow in coming. I don't have camera. but have taken some with a friends phone today. I will post as soon as possible. Im sorry Im a bit hopeless with pictures.

I will keep updating this thread.

Thank you again everyone for your kindness and well wishes I will be sure to give each of my dogs some extra love, from you all. Mirk is home.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm glad he's finally home with you Denise and I hope you have many good years with him yet. I'm sure Cloud and Connor will come round eventually.

As for the not getting attached, would there have been any point in rescuing him and keeping him if you didn't get attached? I don't think that was even a possibility though
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh I am so so pleased. You do write a lovely post and I look forward to reading about Mirk's progress in the weeks to come. I really hope you have Mirk for a few years. He must think he has gone to heaven which he has in a way. What a special person you must be. xxxxxx
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I wish you and Mirk many happy years together
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Am bit lost for words but so glad you have Mirk there with you all. The love, compassion and care you have is something very special. Wishing you all the very best x
Page 5 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »