Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Sick fish (again)

The other day Wanda, my shibunkin (sp?) died.

Then she came back to life again

Anyway she's been fine since but today she is swimming a bit, then floating on her side, then swimming a bit, then floating on her side.

I'm prepared to go and get whatever I need for the tank but don't want to ask at the local PAH as they are pants and will have me buying all sorts of unnecessary stuff - I just don't trust them!

Can you tell me what I can do? I was going to go and get an oxygen tablet for the water, I have already moved her into the shade after our last escapade but it's so hot in here that I can't keep her cool unfortunately.

Should I try changing half the water every day to make sure there's new cool water coming in? I don't usually change it that often but don't really know much about fish (people told me they were easy pets!) so perhaps I should be changing it everyday in this weather?

Thanks
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 12:51 PM
On reflection, it either looks like she's really tired or she can't keep her balance, she swims but she swims wobbly if you know what I mean?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Few questions;

Is she the only fish in the tank?
How big is the tank she's in?
Whats in the tank plant/equipment wise?
How long has she been in there?
How often do you change the water?
Where is the tank kept and does she have shade?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:01 PM
ok...

she has two little guppies in the tank with her.
The tank - I'm not sure of it's proper size... I'll measure it in a mo
There really is nothing in the tank, that was my second question should I put some live plant in there?
she's been in there since... February I think
The water is changed about once a week unless it looks like it needs changing before that
The tank is kept on my desk under a shelf in the shade. It is by the window but it's kept away from the heat if you know what I mean? There's a little hole in the desk where the tank sits.

Just asked a friend who keeps fish and he says it's the swim bladder, he says there's nothing I can do but just wanted to double check there isn't?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
ok...

she has two little guppies in the tank with her.
The tank - I'm not sure of it's proper size... I'll measure it in a mo
There really is nothing in the tank, that was my second question should I put some live plant in there?
she's been in there since... February I think
The water is changed about once a week unless it looks like it needs changing before that
The tank is kept on my desk under a shelf in the shade. It is by the window but it's kept away from the heat if you know what I mean? There's a little hole in the desk where the tank sits.

Just asked a friend who keeps fish and he says it's the swim bladder, he says there's nothing I can do but just wanted to double check there isn't?

Yes it sounds like swim bladder problems to me too Lottie, I think I put that in your other post. There is some liquid you can buy for swim bladder problems, pets at home probably sell it. I think you have to buy some special salt too to put in the water. Personally I think it might be a bit late for Wanda now if she has had it a few days.
loretta25
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Hiya, trying a oxygen tablet sounds like a really good idea, i have a outside pond with koi, goldfish etc, and when its really hot, theres less oxygen in the water and especially if our pump is blocked they do the same. so i would also check that your pump is working fine. hope your fish gets better soon.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-07-2006, 01:09 PM
sounds liek swim bladder.

feed her two de shelled peas.

see if it helps.

id also buy an oxygenator for the tank.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Okay right well
Guppies are tropical fish, and need slightly heated water always in a tank.
Shubkins are coldwater fish and live in unheated water in tanks or ponds outside.

So you are trying to keep two totally different kinds of fish healthy impossible. Gupppies are reasonably tough and have more than likely got used to the tank same as Wanda but I bet neither are totally happy.

If it were me either get another tank and set up a tank suitable for your fish - or if you don't have room for two tanks return the guppies or return Wanda to the shop.
And get setup for the type you keep coldwater or tropical.

When you got the Guppies or Wanda did the shop person not mention they neded totally different care?

Guppies need heat therefore - heaters, filters etc.
Wanda does not need heat but would benefit from a filter of some sort run from an airstone in or a filter with airbubbles coming from that is kept in the water.

It sounds as if she may have swim bladder there is not much you can do but increase the oxygen by changing the water but the Guppies will suffer from this as they prefer warm water.
You can't keep both species healthy in the same tank. Sorry.

Karen
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm really quite upset as I bought all the fish from the same shop and was never advised that they were different kinds of fish! (I know I should've done my reading...)

I'm debating on getting another tank if I can find somewhere for it, if not I know someone who will take the guppies.

I've bought some swim bladder treatment, some oxygenating tablets and a filter but am unclear on whether I can use them at the same time...
The Swim Bladder treatment says to remove carbon & zeolite from the tank so I'm assuming that means the filter? Can I used the oxygen tablets? Or do I have to wait until Swim Bladder treatment is over?

Thanks for all your help. Please don't think I'm stupid, I've bought a book on goldfish to read up on and I will never again underestimate the needs of fish!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Whiskas and Felix (guppies) have gone to a new home with my friend who knows a lot about fish and he's given me some advice for Wanda.

I've just got back upstairs and, perhaps it's coincidence but she's swimming around a lot better than she was when she was co-habiting with Felix and Wanda.

Can I use the filter and oxygen tablets with the swim bladder treatment? Or do I have to wait until treatment is over?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >