Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:10 PM

call from bt?

bt just called, they went thru a load of like discounts and stuff, then asked to confirm we were payin via direct debit then asked to confirm the bank details. I told him i did not wish to disclose that information over the phone and said if he knows we r payin via direct debit then he already has my bank details and he said he wanted to confirm them and gave a stupid reason. So i hung up.
Does this sound suspicious to anyone? or am i being paranoid
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Sounds dodgy to me, if he really did want to confirm he could have read out the information for you to check.

Good job you had the sense not to give him anything.

Ian
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
well he rang back two seconds later and i told him he had the wrong number. dunno it just sounded odd to me, he said somethin like there were 2 people with same surname with our bank and needed to confirm the details. its a bit worrying if hes not from bt cos he had our address and date of birth.
im sure theres a rule that u shudnt give bank details over the phone, email or anything else, maybe not?
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Best to ring BT and ask them if someone rang
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
If this person was really from BT,he would not have needed your account number etc because they would have it all on file.Im certain it was a scam to fleece your acount and you did the right thing.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:31 PM
yepI agree and I would ring BT to report it ..

dani
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
If this person was really from BT,he would not have needed your account number etc because they would have it all on file.Im certain it was a scam to fleece your acount and you did the right thing.
i agree they would never ask over the phone your bank details
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Sounds dodgy to me I would never disclose bank details to someone who phoned up out of the blue like that! You did the right thing good on you!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
i agree with everyone else,ring bt and report it.it is so easy to get conned and good for you putting the phone down!it's easy to understand how easily people can be tricked,especially the elderly.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy It happened to me with NTL once I got a phone call saying I owed some money and could I pay by debit card over the phone. I refused and told them I wanted the bills first. It could have been anyone on the other end of the phone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >