Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dervel
Not everyone likes dogs, some have a mortal fear of them others dont want you any closer that about 59 feet as they feel uncomfortable, if you passed a dog in the street and it growled at your dog you would walk away and wouldnt give it a second thought, so why do you feel aggrieved when an old woman who has possibly had a bad time with dogs growls at you? Why should she give your dog a chance,90% of people bitten by dogs, say the owner said either, you must have done somthing to it or well he's never done that before.

If you were out and someone passed you with a pet Tiger, how would you react? You may be a little alarmed, and react in the same way, dont suggest a tiger is more dangerous than a dog, more people are mauled by dogs than tigers so there is a greater danger.
Hmmm??? nah I disagree...Ok so if your say scared of confined spaces...does that give you the right to be rude to everyone you may be sharing an elevator with? Heck I know it's a stupid comparrison, but I know what I mean!?...

If you don't like something you don't have to be rude you can just avoid the situation...I.E. the woman could have just crossed the road away from Bruno, she didn't have to go out of her way to stand there and be rude.

We all have fears but the world goes on around us, and most people accept that...You can't just shape the world to fit with what you would like, people have all kinds of fears that affect their everyday life, but they don't go around being disrespectful to anyone they feel like, if indeed the woman was actually scared?

Bruno being walked on the lead should not have given the woman just cause to act irrational...Maybe if he had of been loose and out of control, then of course. But you have to get different situations into perspective.

Lastly excuse me if I am wrong!...and for pointing out the obvious, but a medium sized domestic dog on a lead is a ummm lot more controlable than a 500lb (I'm guessing here, but however much they weigh) wild animal...Really silly comparrison to make. Sorry it had to be said out right.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Not everyone likes dogs, some have a mortal fear of them others dont want you any closer that about 59 feet as they feel uncomfortable, if you passed a dog in the street and it growled at your dog you would walk away and wouldnt give it a second thought, so why do you feel aggrieved when an old woman who has possibly had a bad time with dogs growls at you? Why should she give your dog a chance,90% of people bitten by dogs, say the owner said either, you must have done somthing to it or well he's never done that before.
If you were out and someone passed you with a pet Tiger, how would you react? You may be a little alarmed, and react in the same way, dont suggest a tiger is more dangerous than a dog, more people are mauled by dogs than tigers so there is a greater danger.
Regarding Dannie's experience she had her dog on a lead ,minding her own business and the woman was rude.I am scared of horses because I have been bitten , but I would not dream of saying anything to the owners who have them under control . To say the woman was scared taking into account the above circumstances is not a valid excuse for rudeness . As for the owners that say 'you must have done something' this is often true. And the tiger ...if it was on a lead I would not be the least bit alarmed ,but I would rather be mauled by a dog than a tiger
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Do you know I dont have any problem with people being scared of dogs - my own cousin was terrified of them up until about 3 yeasr ago - now she will have bruno sitting on her lap - as she has been introduced to nice dogs - her fear was quite irrational as she had never been bitten but her mother had and had insitilled this fear of dogs in all hr kids by dragging them away from them all their childhood.

So my point dervel, is whilst I can totally sympathise if said woman had been terrified of dogs - she still had a choice - she chose to walk directly infront of me and Bruno - she couyld have waited at the side untilwe had passed. She could have said - Oh sory I amm scared of dogs could you wait til I pass " - She didnt have to do any of this in actual fact as he was noweher near her and under control as on a lead, and not paying any attention to her, the point here is her utter rudeness " GEt THAT AWAY FROM ME " like he was some kind of monster.

there is no excuse for rudeness in my opinion it takes more effort to frown than to smile and it was uncalled for. I, in turn could have replie dwith something very unpleasant - however i chose not to - I just asked her not to be so rude and that he was perfactly good with humans so she had no worries .

Anyway, its over with and If I see the woman again I will ask her if she wouldlkike to pat him and see if she still considers him a monster then!
dani
Dervel
Dogsey Junior

24-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by TamT
It doesnt hurt to have manners!!!!
It doesnt, but not everybody sees thing your way!
Dervel
Dogsey Junior

24-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
lol sorry I just had to laugh at this!!

Dervel are you seriously suggesting our dogs are more dangerous than tigers

A tiger is dangerous, are you suggesting dogs aren't. 90% of reconstuctive surgery on children is dog related!!!

I work with dogs, I can tell you they can be very dangerous, some tigers are kittens, some dogs are monsters.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:12 PM
What work d'you do Dervel?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Derval
Are you a behaviourist ?
Dervel
Dogsey Junior

24-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by BRUNDOG
Do you know I dont have any problem with people being scared of dogs - my own cousin was terrified of them up until about 3 yeasr ago - now she will have bruno sitting on her lap - as she has been introduced to nice dogs - her fear was quite irrational as she had never been bitten but her mother had and had insitilled this fear of dogs in all hr kids by dragging them away from them all their childhood.

So my point dervel, is whilst I can totally sympathise if said woman had been terrified of dogs - she still had a choice - she chose to walk directly infront of me and Bruno - she couyld have waited at the side untilwe had passed. She could have said - Oh sory I amm scared of dogs could you wait til I pass " - She didnt have to do any of this in actual fact as he was noweher near her and under control as on a lead, and not paying any attention to her, the point here is her utter rudeness " GEt THAT AWAY FROM ME " like he was some kind of monster.

there is no excuse for rudeness in my opinion it takes more effort to frown than to smile and it was uncalled for. I, in turn could have replie dwith something very unpleasant - however i chose not to - I just asked her not to be so rude and that he was perfactly good with humans so she had no worries .

Anyway, its over with and If I see the woman again I will ask her if she wouldlkike to pat him and see if she still considers him a monster then!
dani
When a dog is frightened, its brain floods with chemicals and it can't think straight (James OHeare) it has no control over its action fear takes over it is then responsive. This is why your dog will bite you in a frightning situation, its not aware of your actions just its fear.

We are animals Cognisant or not, when fear hits us we take the same response and like dogs some take it further than others. So forget manners a frightned old lady wont even thing about being polite....

Its easy being a dog owner to think everyone has a responsibiblity towards you, and that they should move out of your way or even sympathise if you have a timid dog, or keep out of the way if you have an aggressive one.

It just isn't the case we own the dogs its up to us to ensure we set the standards that promote dogs.

The world doesnt owe us a living
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I remember the saying

Manners costeth nothing
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:24 PM
i never for one second suggested that the world owed me a lviing - my point is that politeness is worth alot. My dog wasnt beind aggressive, he was slightly pulling on the lead and moaning under his breath - not barking not bearing teeth or anything else I would say that made him noticeabley aggressive.

I dont think everyone has a respnisbility towards me - however had I shouted at that woman had it been the other way round then sure she would have taken as much offence as I did. SHE had a choice not to walk in front of me if she was genuinely frightened - she crossed into our path not the other way roudn so for her to then shout at me was a bit rude IMO
dani
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >