25-08-2008, 09:19 AM
GSDs -
aggressive and vicious
untrustworthy around children
prone to "turning" on you at some stage in their lives
they aren't pets but guard dogs or police dogs

BCs -
don't need training as they are so intelligent
needs loads and loads of exercise (they do need plenty, but not enough emphasis is put on mental exercise)
they are snappy
they chase cars!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
JRT's -

Ankle biters - Not this one, and some can be as much as any breed can.

Yappy - Only if he thinks someone is coming near the house, that's his job.

Snappy -Never had a JRT who was this.

'I don't like little dogs, I like a dog to look like a dog' - Out of my two Tonto is the one with the courage and brains. He'd run rings round bigger dogs, in fact he does!

Agree with those 100%

also : they can't be trained they're too stubborn.

not true, some people can't be bothered to train!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Agree with Phil on the Springers have had probs with both mine. Personally they are not for the faint hearted but give so much back and a true joy to own.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Agressive (because of their looks)
...Yeah...maybe agressive to the stuffed seal that they throw in the air to each other..poor seal!!

Wolves
Uh-huh...cos I always do the school run with 2 wolves!!

Good Guard dogs (again because of their look and size).
Yessss they guard the biscuit tin..and will take any burglar straight to the cupboard and show them where it is

Not good with kids (this is the reason I didn't get one in 1999 and ended up with Seiko instead)
They are fab with kids, fab with everyone, Cruisers fave thing in the world is to play on the trampoline with the kids..

Not good with other dogs.
Yes..this is true for some..Cruiser has never had a problem with other dogs..Lola is rather possessive of the garden, house, van etc..anything that is hers (but she was in a kennel for 8months) if she meets a dog on a walk she is fine

Husky
Noooooo their big brothers!

Eat loads
Noooo they don't

Need loads of exercise
Yes and no..they will do as much as you give them, they can walk further than you can and will run for miles and miles on a scooter or rig..
BUT they will also laze in the sun, and refuse walks if they can't be bothered..
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Bichon

just because she is fluffy she isnt a "real" dog :

she doesnt need any exercise - shes small

shes stupid (cos shes fluffy)

i suppose you could say people dont really see past the fluff! she is a fantasic dog - fun loving and fearless with great willingness and ability to learn. a real dog in every sense of the word.

CKCS

i think most people think of Cavs as being lap dogs and yep can totally agree with that my two have made it their lifes mission to be as comfortable as possible for as much as possible
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 03:21 PM
That they are crossbreeds and do not have a NI-exclusive pedigree for many generations.

That they have no guarding instincts. BOTH of my dogs have displayed guarding instincts. It would seem that although they don't guard territory and would happily lick a burglar to death, they WILL be protective of ME and EACH OTHER.

That they are destructive. My dog Spike chewed through my internet cable while he was teething and that is the ONLY thing EITHER of my two have destroyed. Or at least it's the only thing they destroyed that they SHOULDN'T have - they think balls should be instantly demolished! My back yard is a football graveyard, which is great for keeping the local scallywags away! lol

That they moult and moult and moult and moult - to the point where you have to vacuum four times a day. Feed them fresh salmon and the difference is AMAZING! I only have to vacuum once every other day now!! It IS true that you'll never be able to wear black again though.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 03:50 PM
BC/Springer - well everything that has been said already.

Dachshund - that she must be a yappy ankle biter, that she can't walk far/or run fast, ok she's not exactly a greyhound but can outrun me anyday when she wants to!

Weim - none really as not many people know what she is. Someone did say once, I like them kind of dogs, they are very calm friendly dogs aren't they?

Rottie - Has all been said also.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2008, 04:41 PM
BCs

They don't make good house dogs - they need to sleep in a barn If this is a rule, then my two haven't read it. In their view, Border Collies need warm, dry houses with no draughts. If it's good enough for people, it will meet Border Collie minimum standards.

They have to be peeled off the ceiling every five minutes Total Nonsense. No self-respecting Border Collie would waste good sleeping time by going up there in the first place.

They need to work with sheep Ummmmm, wot's a sheep?

They're good mousers Uh-uh. Just watch a TZBC run away from a dead mouse.

Snorri
BlackStar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Lurchers and Greyhounds

My Fav... Need loads of exercise!:
My a**e! Take them for a out for a few mad "sprints" up and down a park and they'll sleep for the rest of the day.
Seppfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Siberians

Pretty much the same as Mick B, except...

Blue eyes - 'Poor thing. He must be blind...AND deaf too'
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >