View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I have previously worked with the SSPCA where I was following one of the inspectors around for a few days, doing a reportage of their work and they have a very hard job to do and I dont think any of the Inspectors do it beacuse its a job - they do it for a love of animals.

They have a very hard job as they are restricted by many rules and regulations which doesnt always allow them to take dogs away from owners unless lots of evidence of neglect etc. I dont envy any inspector as I think they have an uphill struggle particularly in less well off areas.

Regarding the ads in the papers - what is wrong with this - Breeders do it and make ALOT more money than the Rspca do - I think its right that you should have to pay for an animal as if nothing else if you are not willing to make a donation or to pay then are you going to pay to take said animals to vet or for food etc.

They may not all be perfect but would it be better without them ? I dont think so...

Animal cruelty is becoming more of a problem and I honestly feel that without them we would be alot worse off. The local rescues may appear to work better but they are smaller organisations thus less to manage and arent regulated as much as the SSpca for example.

Whilst any organisation like this will have its faults I do feel that we should always try to support places like this as if we dont then we will be worse off - and more importantly so will the animals. Bear in mind aswell that if it werent for the many many breeders churning out new puppies month after month for us to buy then there would be far less abandoned animals in homes up and down this country being cared for by the RSPCA< SSPCA and local organisations.

Perhaps we should be looking at the amount of breeding that goes on - I think its shocking that it isnt more regulated and itmakes me very sad to see all the dogs and cats that need homes desperately compared with the amount of ads in the papers for puppies and kittens !!!

We have the same attitude in this country to our animals as we have to our pensioners - stick them in a home and forget about them !!

Obviously just my opinion however a strong one at that ! Hope I havent offended anyone too much !!
I have got a tendency to rant
dani
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Not offended at all Dani - but with the amount the RSPCA get each year they could do much better imo
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi Julie

perhaps they could and I have to admit I dont know what the figures are for their spending etc etc, but I just think if you go the opposite way and criticise them and people stop giving then all that will happen will be the animals that suffer
its like anything though - its always easier to be a bystander and criticise than actualyl doing the job - Do we have any inspectors on this site - perhaps they can shed some light ??
dani
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:08 PM
All my dealings with the RSPCA have been very good!! I used to rescue cats, take ferals to be spayed to stop over population and the RSPCA have provided vouchers for every act!!! There was a dog left behind in an unused house, we reported it and it was dealt with quickly. All reportings i know of have been dealt with. I think its the area maybe, i know that the north wales area are great!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by BRUNDOG
Hi Julie

perhaps they could and I have to admit I dont know what the figures are for their spending etc etc, but I just think if you go the opposite way and criticise them and people stop giving then all that will happen will be the animals that suffer
its like anything though - its always easier to be a bystander and criticise than actualyl doing the job - Do we have any inspectors on this site - perhaps they can shed some light ??
dani
I don't think the problem is with the inspectors at all they seem to be hard working caring individuals it is the "organisation" and the upper management to blame IMO.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:14 PM
thats the problem in every organisation though isnt it !! The bigwigs are always to blame - they pay themselves too much thats why !!!

dani
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

16-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I think whatever I posted I believe there are one or two that always have an opposing view, whatever I say, and they are always the same people. I find that somewhat amusing. Dislike and emnity makes fools out of people in the end.

I think as this thread opens up those in favour of the RSPCA will be in the minority.

On this subject, the large RSPCA kennels in Liverpool have the stray contract and they have an unwritten policy of PTS any medium size black dog, even without waiting the 7 days to see if an owner turns up, as this type of dog are harder to rehome!!

Who told us this? Someone who worked there.

There is another story of a stray, hit by a car and taken to that same 'shelter', she was given no medical treatment or visit to a vet as they didn't want to pay out anything incase an owner turned up within the 7 days. The then NCDL heard about it and raised the funds themselves to pay for the dogs vet care providing they could rehome the dog, which they did.

Then there is the cocker spaniel who was PTS the day after it arrived at the 'shelter' even though it's owner had been in a couple of days earlier to leave a discription of her lost dog. Had they bothered to scan the dogs microchip it could've been sent home.

I know no professional in the dog world that has any respect for that organisation ask your vet see what they think I know what the answer will be.

I have a vet nurse currently studying under me hoping to become a behaviourist, she has 20 years experience as a Senior Nurse and cannot remember one case in that whole time when the RSPCA ever turned out for an injured animal.

With regard to the SSPCA I have no knowledge or data.

Stan
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

16-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think the problem is with the inspectors at all they seem to be hard working caring individuals it is the "organisation" and the upper management to blame IMO.
Spot on the Inspectors I know are constrained by money and H.O policy.I received this the other day you may find it interesting.

It is becoming more and more apparent that the RSPCA will go to any lengths to gain control of ALL animal Welfare law and issues. In their quest for total dominance they have forgotten the very roots they were founded on, Animal Welfare.
Now it would appear they are more of an Animal Rights Political Party than the Charity supposedly based on Animal Welfare.
To enlist four MP`s as Vice presidents is beyond comprehension yet no surprise. I remember commenting in 2001 that the Private Members Bill being put forward by Labour MP for Brigg and Goole Ian Cawsey was nothing less than an RSPCA Animal Welfare Bill, low and behold Ian Cawsey is now a Vice Chairman!!!. Will these MP`s be on the RSPCA Pay roll ? Will this see the RSPCA`s personal Animal Rights Agendas introduced with the political backing, through the back door, it will now most obviously have ? Will these obvious Animal rights supportive MP`s declare certain interests regarding animal welfare issues ?
The whole Animal Welfare Issue has become a farce, fanatical beliefs have clouded common sense and reason and now the antis have an even stronger hold on our companion animals.It is time to wake up before the RSPCA and ill informed and unqualified MP`s destroy yet another human right.

Andrew Meads
Safewings Wildlife Conservation Projects
South Street
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-03-2005, 01:23 PM
The rspca i have no time for at all they were heavily involved in the creation of the dangerous dogs act and in its enforcement and their officers give so called expert testimony in the slaughter of many innocent dogs and they murdered any look a like pitbul as soon as it was in their hands.... they only changed their attitude about the handling of these cases when it affected their funds and got them bad publicity..... and as some have said above they will only help animals when it suits them high profile cases or if televison programmes are getting made about them
The rspca is no longer an animal welfare organisation but an animal rights activists organisation working behind everybodys backs lobbying govorments and using the funds that people donate to help animal welfare against the people who donated it to basicly stop them keeping animals ....also the rspca has millions of pounds on their books you dont see them spending it to help animals so what is the millions to be used for it is doing no good for animals lying in a bank vault
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Doglistener
I think whatever I posted I believe there are one or two that always have an opposing view, whatever I say, and they are always the same people. I find that somewhat amusing. Dislike and emnity makes fools out of people in the end.
Sorry Stan - But are you not missing the whole point of a debate here - of course not everyone is always going to agree with you and everyone is entitled to their opinion - as are you !! Doesnt mean to say you are always right, neither does it mean that I am right - its a debate -so if I say that i dont agree with your statement that does not make me a fool thanks very much !!!

dani
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »