View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Thats real useful info , I have a 3 yr old lurcher and a 3 yr old grey with no known health issues and I am paying more than stated on the quote list , thats for life cover , up to 4k with an excess of £75 and includes comp therapy,boarding fees,energency repat etc Been good service so far

Lurcher 17.45 per month
Grey 25.85 per month
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Not sure if you remember - were you asked at all about the size of the cross?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Not sure if you remember - were you asked at all about the size of the cross?
I've been getting quotes and lots don't bother nowadays. I remember when first insuring Kiki, loads wanted to either know the main breed, or had weight bands, but the last year and this year most just say "Crossbreed"
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:44 AM
well, I have two x breeds and a pedigree, and our insurance has just gone from 46.98 to 71.00 pm...dont think so direct line!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I've been getting quotes and lots don't bother nowadays. I remember when first insuring Kiki, loads wanted to either know the main breed, or had weight bands, but the last year and this year most just say "Crossbreed"
Thanks - I was asked with Tassle what size cross - small, medium or large.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I think the questions posted have been answered but to verify:
  • Age of dog for each quote was 3 years old, with same owner details (Male, low 30s, city centre location).
  • Re crosses, there was just one option, and they didn't ask for size.
  • The cover level was budget
  • The quotes were from the same company on the same day

The main purpose of the article is not to compare costs with what you're paying, but to compare costs with different breeds to get an idea of which breeds are more/less expensive to insure

Re the Shar Pei - many insurance companies no longer insure them (same is probably true for any other breeds not listed, but are listed in our Dog Breeds section).
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I knew Rotties would be near the top my girl made that happen

Must say though i pay a bit less than that for a life policy and i live in an expensive part of the country.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 04:55 PM
How many insurance companies did you use for each breed to work out your average price per breed?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
How many insurance companies did you use for each breed to work out your average price per breed?
They are not an average. They are prices from one company for all breeds. The purpose is to get an idea, not a definitive answer.

If you have a few weeks free you are more than welcome to go through over 200 quotes times 5 or 6 different companies to get an average

PS I have just updated it with more suitable colours to make it easier to quickly see which breeds are more expensive ('hotter' colour = higher price).
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
They are not an average. They are prices from one company for all breeds. The purpose is to get an idea, not a definitive answer.

If you have a few weeks free you are more than welcome to go through over 200 quotes times 5 or 6 different companies to get an average

PS I have just updated it with more suitable colours to make it easier to quickly see which breeds are more expensive ('hotter' colour = higher price).
The thing is, just getting prices from one insurance company is going to mean diddly squat re the health of different breeds in the wider world. Each insurance company will have different criteria for different client types and the underwriters will produce the policy to reflect this. Although this thread will show the differences in each breed from the perspective of how the insurance company views them for insurance reasons it won't accurately reflect the health of each breed in the wider sense if you see what I mean. Even going round several insurance companies will give you skewed results as each company will have different underwritten criteria - that's partly why when you go round several different companies for quotes you get a wide range of prices.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »