Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:54 AM

I've lost my beautiful girl (cat)

Yesterday, my gorgeous Smitch had to be put to sleep.

I'm absolutely gutted. She always shared my food and my bed and last night I slept alone with a cold empty space next to me.

It's just such a huge shock, she went downhill so fast - only a year since her sister died too.

I took her to the vets yesterday as she hadn't been eating and had lost loads of weight.
Thing is, Smitch often went off her food for days at a time so we weren't worried at first but over the weekend she went downhill, her coat was awful instead of the beautiful black fluffy coat she usually had and you could feel all of her bones.

I was expecting the vet to say she needed a dental or had got something stuck in her gut but the result was leukaemia
Absolutely nothing we could do for her, I couldn't believe it. So soon after losing Eddy and only a year since her sister went downhill so rapdily with diabetes.

I was offered a steroidal injection for her so I could take her home for a couple of days and let mum say goodbye (it was a shock, we weren't expecting her not to come home) but mum and I agreed that it wouldn't do her any favours and it was kinder to let her go so I stayed with her til the end.

She was so anaemic that the vet couldn't do a blood test but I didn't care, she looked in so much pain that I just wanted her out of her suffering there and then and I trust my vet to tell me what she thinks is right.
She had been running about that morning and even went outside for an hour but as soon as we got to the vets, she laid down and gave up.

I can't contemplate life without a cat and do feel a little guilty that I'm desperate for another one so soon after losing her, but I know it's just different ways of coping. I don't want to replace Smitch, I just need that company that she provided
My mum won't consider getting another though, which is heartbreaking because I was Smitch's primary carer and she slept with me. My room is full of her bed, food bowls, litter tray.... and I just can't bring myself to remove them. It feels so empty and quiet without her, I feel like I need something to fill at least some of the huge gap.

Run free Smitch, you're up there with Smudge, Whiskas and Eddy now - I'll never forget you xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-07-2010, 07:01 AM
So sorry Lottie.

Run free Smitch.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm so very sorry Lottie. I lost one of my cats after a swift but devastating illness and it absolutely broke my heart. You have had such pain and heartache recently but you have also been selfless in your love and commitment towards your beloved pets.

Run free little Smitch. xxxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
So sorry to hear your news.

Run free Smitch if you see our Eddie at Rainbow Bridge he'll take great care of you sweetheart xxxxxx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Pad free Smitch, have fun with Smudge ;o) xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:02 AM
So sorry to hear this news Lottie xxx

I have those same pangs to find a little companion to love and to hold now that my darling boy is no longer here.

Some of my very good friends have told me I shouldn't feel guilty and now I'm saying the same to you, we have so much love to give why not pour it into another pet, we wouldn't be replacing those we have lost but simply finding an alternative place to channel that love.

It is hard though, I know that. (((hugs))) xxxx

Run free Smitch xxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I am really sorry for your loss.

Run free Smitch xxxxx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
So sorry to hear this Lottie, big hugs to you. Run free Smitch.x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
So sorry honey.......

RIP Smitch

x0x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
im sorry
i know how you feel,this is the first time in my whole life i havnt lived with a cat,luckily we have one at work(altho he thinks hes a dog).

sweet dreams Smitch xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >