Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:31 PM

Vitamin tablets/supplements?

Does anyone take a daily vitamin tablet/supplement and if so why and does it do any good?
I as you know had a full hysterectomy 3&1/2 weeks ago and due to having had breast cancer cannot take HRT but not any symptoms yet odd hot flush at night. Nothing else but started to take last week a sanatogen A-Z multi vitamin and wondered if anyone noticed any benefit......

Consultant told me I would have to take calcium to increase bone strength.....but don't see him till 6 week checkup....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Personally I try to get vitamins from eating plenty of veg and fruit, but do take vit D as I don't get out in the sun much and B12 (as they go hand in hand).

Since taking vit D I haven't had a cold/flu *touch wood* and I almost always catch it if I go anywhere near anyone who has it

I also have some rice dream with added calcium as I don't drink milk (tho, I would say I get plenty from leafy veg).
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah Thanks Azz I eat a varied diet but since the surgery thought a little added vitamin would not hurt......hence the multi vitamin...rather than specific vitamin.

So all in all then Azz you think it does benefit you.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-05-2010, 02:02 PM
You can get the docs to do a blood test for vit levels Kazz - I've just had the results back from mine, and my D, B12, Calcium etc are fine.

I would do that as part of taking them is worry - so if you have peace of mind you won't need to worry about it. I would spend the money on other supplements instead tbh, such as linseeds, cod-liver oil (as many of us don't eat enough oily fish)
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a lot of issues with B12, and so does my mum. I've been able to hold off the injections for now with eating better but I'm on the borderline...

I used to take multi vitamins but didn't feel any different
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I take a multi vitamin - without iron. At the minute its Tescos - really cheap compared to the likes of Boots or health shops. I find they are beneficial.

I was on HRT for years after the hysterectomy, then they decided i had to come off it, woe was me. Told me just to stop it and got such severe symptoms. Reached a compromise where I came off it gradually over 6 months.

For any symptoms I did have when I came off it I used evening primrose oil which is excellent, still take it, so do the dogs - after all they have been done too!!

How do you feel now?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 06:30 AM
I take fish oil for arthritis, Menapol for hot flushes (and it doesn't work..... ) and I used to take Vit B but stopped.

My only severe problem is the hot flushes which drive me crazy. I used to take sage leaf, which did work for a while but then stopped, hence the Menapol.

Not sure what to try next TBH .....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I take fish oil for arthritis, Menapol for hot flushes (and it doesn't work..... ) and I used to take Vit B but stopped.

My only severe problem is the hot flushes which drive me crazy. I used to take sage leaf, which did work for a while but then stopped, hence the Menapol.

Not sure what to try next TBH .....
Red Clover works. You can get capsules or liquid (with dropper) liquid you put on uour food. I preferred capsules. Prob is theyre not cheap but it does work. If you took enough eve prim oil it would help your flushes. You'd probably need to experiment tho,, start off on 3000mg a day for week & if no help increase next week to 4000mg a day. Prob 5000mg may be helpful but i'd start lower & work it up. Holland & Barrat work out not too bad for both products as u can buy lot at
atime plus they often have offers on & if none near you - you can buy online

Try the red clover if like me you arent keen on swallowing big eve prim 1000mg capsules, tho they slide down happily if you are eating a banana
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Am going to continue to take them, as they can't do any harm.

Just thought with the Op I would take a multi vitamin to these apparently give me the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A, D, E, C, B1, B2, B6, B12, Iron, Zinc. So there you go, I may need to take calcium for bone strength as can't take HRT with ovaries going.

However drink quite a bit of milk at least a pint a day of whole milk.So hoping that helps, and will be continuting with the walking (ie dog) which is a strength bearing excercise and good for bones.

Also going to take up Yoga when recovered and healed.

Maybe I am getting a little jumpy....(house arrest remember) but feel like this is a whole change in my way of life so want to stay well.......
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I tend to go through phases when I think I am going to be 'healthy' and so go and buy multi vitamins, cod liver oil for my joints etc and take them religiously for a while - and then forget about them when I start to feel a bit better!

Must start on them all again now, having read all this. I use Natures Best products normally -
http://www.naturesbest.co.uk

which have always seemed good quality.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >