Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Sorry to hear your rabbits not well
Fingers crossed itīll get better soon.

Now this isnt about you rabbit ZoeH, but about being healthy, sick and to visit the vet:
A trip to the vet can both be a fun but also a sad experience.
It can be so hard when faced with what will happen to all living creatures and us; death.
It doesnt allways seem to be fair and sometimes even a cruel dicission to make.
Now I dont know how to put this without upsetting anyone, but Iīll give it a try: sometimes being pts isnt the worst choice. Sometimes the try in making the animal better and therefore put it through surgery, long treatment maybe without any luck etc can be worse than letting the animal sleep in quietly.

I have allways considered animals luckier than us ppl due to the fact that we can free them from their misery while we humans cant get help to sleep in despite pain and no hope in getting better.

Therefore I dont allways see death as the worst choice. Sometimes living is
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:06 AM
I would have gotten upset very easily if I had seen the black lab being carried out, its a real shame for the gold lab... I have never heard of such a thing either.

Hope your rabbit gets better soon
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2005, 07:34 AM
I agree with the points made by amts. I used to think that the hardest part of being a vet would be the euthanasing of animals, but I now think that it is a privilege, for both veterinarian and owner, to be permitted to end the suffering of those that are terminally ill or have no quality of life left. Euthanasia of healthy animals for the sake of convenience is a different story and I guess it is a dilemma frequently faced by vets.

Zoe - I don't think that your rabbit is 'only' a rabbit, I hope that she pulls through.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Hope your little one is okay, she soun ds a very special litle girl, thoughts with you.....
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I agree with you totally amts it is a hard choice to make but we must always put the best interests of the animal first and not keep them alive for our own selfish reasons. I do not agree with putting healthy animals to sleep though that is a very sad step to take.

Zoe how is she this morning?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 09:25 AM
that is all so sad,
Zoe any queries just PM, we hav eha dloads of rabbits, nursed many, even hand reared a few litters, so i have learnt a few tricks of the trade, so dont hesitate
best wishes
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Mornin' Zoe, hope your little one is feeling better today. All animals are precious, pets or not, so give him a cuddle from Auntie H xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
I had to go to the vets today because one of my rabbits is very ill While we were in there there were two labs a golden and a black, while i was waiting to be seen by the vet i noticed the golden lab had a shaven side and i got chatting to the owner and he said it had an ageing disease, forgot the proper name, the poor lab looked so old and it was only young, the owner said he just could not undersatand what was happening to his dog until he found out what the dog had got, the dog stomach had collapsed and the tablets it on now to help with it condition are over Ģ2 each, i didnt even no this disease existed and i found this so sad for such a young dog.
Then on my way out i saw the gorgeous black lab like my oscar i didnt get the chance to speak to the owner so i didnt no what was wrong with it, but sadly it had just been put to sleep and was being carried out into the owners car, it really got to me as the dog looked so much like my lab, it was very sad seeing both dogs.Sorry just had to write about this
Oh Zoe, you are like me, I get upset when we go to the vet and a dog is carried out after being PTS. When we were there a few months ago, just as we pulled into the carpark the nurses and a lady were carrying a large black dog out and put it into the boot of a 4 wheel drive. I was convinced the dog had been put to sleep and I had a peek in the back as we passed and the poor thing wasn't moving, I felt like crying. The owner was at the counter paying and talking to the receptionist but she didn't look at all sad so I was wondering if it had been operated on but had not come round, but I didn't think vets let dogs go until they were round again properly. I know when Benji was castrated there that he was full of life when we picked him up again.

Sorry to hear your rabbit is ill, hope he gets better soon

I read somewhere that it is illegal to bring a dog out of the surgery that has been put to sleep at the vets, does anybody know if this is true or not
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by amts
Sorry to hear your rabbits not well
Fingers crossed itīll get better soon.

Now this isnt about you rabbit ZoeH, but about being healthy, sick and to visit the vet:
A trip to the vet can both be a fun but also a sad experience.
It can be so hard when faced with what will happen to all living creatures and us; death.
It doesnt allways seem to be fair and sometimes even a cruel dicission to make.
Now I dont know how to put this without upsetting anyone, but Iīll give it a try: sometimes being pts isnt the worst choice. Sometimes the try in making the animal better and therefore put it through surgery, long treatment maybe without any luck etc can be worse than letting the animal sleep in quietly.

I have allways considered animals luckier than us ppl due to the fact that we can free them from their misery while we humans cant get help to sleep in despite pain and no hope in getting better.

Therefore I dont allways see death as the worst choice. Sometimes living is
I totally agree with what you have said Amts, there has been many a time since have have quite a few rabbits that i have had the choice of operating and being pts, i do all i can for them but the ones i have had pts have been very ill to the point the could not even lift there head and i always ask myself is it fair to put the rabbit through any more than it has to, and since rabbits are so small it is unlikely to come out of the operation, and the vet has alwalys said when i have chosen for my beloved rabbits to be pts that i have made the right choose in not letting it suffer any more and he says some owners dont think about the animal but about how upsetting it is for them, we should alwalys do whats best for the animal.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Thankyou Jackie, bellaluna, moli, kirsty and shadowboxer for your kind wordsxxx
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »