Female 

13-12-2004, 05:57 PM
poor teagen!!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I was going to say exactly what SB said

I do know what you are going through as my Lucy was very very scared of other dogs

It also helps if you can get another person with another large dog. (ok, this will sound bad, but I'd been working on her for 8 months and very little progress). So I had a frend of mine with a very calm Bernese come out with us but wait at the end of the road. So I had Lucy in a harness and I had my useful fish treats and a toy she really likes. So I walked her as close as I dared to the Bernese without her tensing. Then I played with her, gave her a few commands, worked on getting her mind off the other dog. Then when she was loosened up and relaxed I moved forewards a little bit then did the same thing, and so on till I got about 2 meters from the Bernese (luckily enough the dog was trained in long down), then I just sat down closish to the other dog and waited. WHen she would come closer I would take up the slack so she couldn't move out, and gradually she found out that it wouldn't kill her to be near a strange dog. Then when she was sitting between my legs happily taking treats from me, we got up and went further for a walk. At first with dogs on lead then dogs off lead.

That was the real flip of the switch with her and since then we've had nothing but progress She's fully comfortable with other dogs, as long as they don't go mad and jump all over her, and even then she'll just move away

I think this technique is called flooding. You'd have to see with Teagan if this would work for her As this won't work for every dog
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Hevvur you can gladly met up with me and just Max my Dally, hes 6 now and although not old old, when hes on the park and off his lead he will actually just ignore teagan I can promise, hes really laid back, he wont mind if Teagan follows him and tries to play, he might have a sniff etc but hes not overpowering. I wouldnt bring Saffy cuz although shes great with other dogs she can be a bit exciteable and may not be what Teagan needs.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks Roxy, I think i will take you up on the offer!

Knowing Teagam she'll be a star, and won't be frightened at all, to say "mums lying!" lol
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2