Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If there is no time for vocal praise and voice is not used, why were so many verbal corrections given?

Is it usual to use long line with a flat collar? In one sequence the dog forcefully hit the end of the line and my guess (but I will stress that this is an assumption on my part) is that this happened frequently during training, hence more than verbal corrections taking place.
Firstly, everyone trains differently. Yes, I do train my dogs to herd sheep - but it doesn't mean I will do it the exact same was as Barbara Sykes did in the film. However, I felt that Barbara did give quite a lot of vocal praise whilst initial training was taking place in the round pen. I have been taught to just let my dogs feel their sheep and work them alone, with little intervention from me initially. If they are going in to grip or split one sheep off from the rest then they are given a verbal reprimand, once they desist from that behaviour, they are again allowed to continue working their sheep. The reward for the dog is doing the work and being allowed to continue - it doesn't need a whole heap of praise. This training is very different to any type of dog sports or obedience, you are harnessing a natural instinct.

On a young dog it is quite common for them to be on a long line with a flat collar, in order that the line can be stood on or grabbed if the dog is gripping a sheep. A round pen is also used in this type of situation.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Not really into this debate, but a few questions please to those who work dogs this way.

If there is no time for vocal praise and voice is not used, why were so many verbal corrections given?

Is it usual to use long line with a flat collar? In one sequence the dog forcefully hit the end of the line and my guess (but I will stress that this is an assumption on my part) is that this happened frequently during training, hence more than verbal corrections taking place.

I think I've seen that a few of you know/have worked with the trainer? How's the dog doing now? Does he work away from the trainer/owner's land - is he walked away from the land in sheep areas? Does the training hold, ie is the training generalised?

What was lovely to see was that this guy now has a home and is doing a job he loves.
I'll leave this one to Moobli who is experienced in working her dogs. I am only on the first steps of training mine.
If you are refering to one of the posts I made. I meant when a collie is working in general then it is worked away and sometimes the voice is not used. That's what I meant.
When the dog has completed it's task and is back to the owner. Then it would receive praise. If the dog is working correctly the you do not distract with a verbal praise etc.
Hope I've been clearere
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Firstly, everyone trains differently. Yes, I do train my dogs to herd sheep - but it doesn't mean I will do it the exact same was as Barbara Sykes did in the film. However, I felt that Barbara did give quite a lot of vocal praise whilst initial training was taking place in the round pen. I have been taught to just let my dogs feel their sheep and work them alone, with little intervention from me initially. If they are going in to grip or split one sheep off from the rest then they are given a verbal reprimand, once they desist from that behaviour, they are again allowed to continue working their sheep. The reward for the dog is doing the work and being allowed to continue - it doesn't need a whole heap of praise. This training is very different to any type of dog sports or obedience, you are harnessing a natural instinct.

On a young dog it is quite common for them to be on a long line with a flat collar, in order that the line can be stood on or grabbed if the dog is gripping a sheep. A round pen is also used in this type of situation.
Absolutely agree, this seems to be the training I have seen of others and runs in line with the instinct herding tests bobby has done recently.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:44 AM
On a totally diffrerent note, did anyone else cry like a baby when he handed that beautiful bloodhound over. I'm so useless at animal programmes!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
On a totally diffrerent note, did anyone else cry like a baby when he handed that beautiful bloodhound over. I'm so useless at animal programmes!
Yes, such an emotional moment:smt089 :smt089
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
Absolutely
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have been taught to just let my dogs feel their sheep and work them alone, with little intervention from me initially. If they are going in to grip or split one sheep off from the rest then they are given a verbal reprimand, once they desist from that behaviour, they are again allowed to continue working their sheep. The reward for the dog is doing the work and being allowed to continue - it doesn't need a whole heap of praise.

Thank you. That sounds a much more sensible and fair way of training. I can well understand the thrill of the work being the reward and the verbal interrupter when the dog is getting it wrong (ie firm tone). I can see the use of a small round pen with selected sheep for initial training - that makes total sense as it allows the trainer to control the situation. I can't see the need for flat collar/long line combination because a harness would work just as well unless corrections are intended.

From a personal viewpoint, I cringed all the way through the training of Herbie as I saw more harsh nagging than interrupting and the jolt at the end of the long line really did smack of harsh correction.

I don't train working sheepdogs to work, but the thought that sprang to mind was why not just remove the dog from the reward (ie take him out of the pen when he got it wrong) to provide the consequence in much the same way as we would work a dog who was getting so hyped during agility training that he began nipping at his owner
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 11:02 AM
From a personal viewpoint, I cringed all the way through the training of Herbie as I saw more harsh nagging than interrupting and the jolt at the end of the long line really did smack of harsh correction.
Your not the only one
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13