Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pugsley1
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:16 PM

dog bite

Some of you may know I acquired a male pug aged 9 months back in March. He has been well looked after and spayed etc. Tonight my 3 year old son had made some 'cakes' on a plate with pastry I had left over and the dog went for the pastry on the coffee table, he tried to bite my son when he went to retrieve the plate I banished him to his bed in the kitchen but he ran upstairs, then he sneaked back into the living room jumped back up to get the plate and when my son tried to stop him he has bitten my son breaking the skin what would you do?wouild anyone consider it serious enough to give the dog up? I'm not sure what to do, he hasn't been brought up with my family he was from another household, but he has been a bit jealous (with toys and food) but this was my sons toy and my sons food, tbh the bite is quite bad and any other breed with a different bite action would have done a lot more damage They get on very well 95% of the time
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Has he ever behaved in this way before?
Pugsley1
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:24 PM
He did a few nips when we first got him over wanting my sons toys but we thought he had got over it. He is a very loyal little dog and the previous owner never said anything about him being jealous about her children, he is very much a womans dog though
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pugsley1 View Post
He did a few nips when we first got him over wanting my sons toys but we thought he had got over it.
And here lies your problem. It really should never have progress pass those few nips. If a problem isn't modified by letting the dog know that what he is doing is wrong or by making sure he knows that he won't get what he wants by doing that action, then a behavior won't simply vanish.

You need to start a new training schedule and set firm and clear guidelines so that your dog knows that he is to respect everyone in the family even the little kids. He shouldn't ever bite someone because of food that isn't his or that wasn't offered to him.

First off, depending on how old your son is, I would recommend that you let your son give your dog his meals, that way he understands that even the children have control over resources that he (the dog) consideres vital.

Try following through with the NILIF program, it should go a long way for you. Here are a few links that explain how to implement the program in your training schedule:

Byrnes, Carol A. Follow the Leader!< http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/leader.html >

Byrnes, Carol A. Should You Sleep With Your Dog?< http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/dogsinbed.html >

Byrnes, Carol A. Work to Earn.< http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/foods&feeding.html >

McKean, Deb. Nothing in Life is Free.< http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm >

Milani, Myrna. Leadership vs. Dominance: Who Leads Your Human-Canine Pack?< http://www.mmilani.com/leadership-vs-dominance.html >

Ryan, Kelly. Are you Alpha?< http://www.4pawsu.com/leaderadv.htm >
Pugsley1
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 07:38 PM
My son is 3 they normally play together (rolling around chasing etc) we did teach him by letting my son feed him, I took him to puppy classes and they advised us to let him feed him which he has done and do the treats for correct behaviour and he does take commands mainly 'sit' from my son too, hence we thought that the trying to dominate role/ lack of respect had been addressed.
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pugsley1 View Post
My son is 3 they normally play together (rolling around chasing etc) we did teach him by letting my son feed him, I took him to puppy classes and they advised us to let him feed him which he has done and do the treats for correct behaviour and he does take commands mainly 'sit' from my son too, hence we thought that the trying to dominate role/ lack of respect had been addressed.
I see, I would still insist that you implement the NILIF guidelines, just o be consistent.

Also, have you taught the "Leave it" command? It could come in hand for your son.

This problem not only needs to be solved for your sons interest but your dog's as well, as the next thing the dog may try to steal is something that is toxic to him such as chocolate or grapes etc.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I would tend to get in a good behaviourist to be honest, because I think this needs to be seen in its enviroment with the dog and your son interacting.

I'm a bit concerned about the rolling around and chasing but it may be fine - it's just that playfighting can get over boisterous and the dog may learn that all interaction witn your son is exciting rather than calm.

Try someone from here:
www.apbc.org.uk
or perhaps here:
www.apdt.co.uk
the last link is mostly trainers but some are behaviourists. I think you need someone who can assess everything because then you will feel better in yourself.

It maybe the pug just needs some behavioural exercises in relation to food etc also your young son may need to learn that it's best not to take things from a dog in that sort of situation

Wys
x