Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 01:34 PM

Blackie's scratching - not fleas

Hi,

Can anyone help me, for a few days Blackie has been scratching more, At first I thought it may be with him casting his coat, but he has been well groomed and there were no fleas/ticks to be seen - he was profesionally done.

He has been eating a odd digestive biscuit. but that's all differently he's had food wise.

Has anyone any ideas what it could be etc.

I don't want to take him to the vets because they usually give a shampoo that has to be applied twice a week, we did this with one of other dogs and it ruined it's coat.

I have been told to add rock sulphur into his water bowl, I've tried this but he won't drink out of the bowl. Do you think it would be ok to add a little powdered sulphur into a cup of tea for him?

I would like it cleared up before he goes to his foster home if possible, which is in 2 - 4 weeks time.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Ian
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Jake was doing same thing. I was advised that it could be dry skin and to put a capfull codliver oil in his feed. I've been doing that and it seems to have helped....
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 03:26 PM
What did you treat him for fleas with Ian and how long ago was it? Someone on another thread was saying frontline wasn't effective anymore and that Advantage was better. I have had loads of trouble with an itchy dog as you might know. Is he scratching any particular parts of his body more than others Evening primrose oil capsules are great for their skin too (a vet told me this) you can get them pretty cheap from supermarkets and just give one capsule a day if they are the large capsules.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 03:28 PM
I used advantage, recomended by someone on here, sorry can't remember who. But never really had a flea problem that was just a prevention really. Think it was just dry skin, seems fine now.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Hello,

I haven't used anything apart from using garlic, I treat him for two weeks then off for a month. This appears to work as the groomer said he hasn't got anything and his skin isn't dry either.

He is itchy around his front elbow's his belly and his back, however when I touch him in these areas there's no reaction.

I am wondering if there's anything floating about in his blood.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm not to sure about using garlic to keep fleas away because I have never gone down that route. I used to use Frontline and now I use Stronghold because it treats mites which Benji had. Is it fresh garlic you use?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:22 PM
hiya

front elbows is a typical; place for those nasty berry bugs to bite - you only see the after effects and they dont stay on the skin so dog just gets itchy whilst its healing !

have a look on his paws inbetween his toes and if you see small red dots - thats berry bigs and there isnt much you can do other than a bath, calamine lotion to take the itch out - or thats what i do for bruno - he gets them every year this time.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:25 PM
could he be having a moult??? Getting his winter coat through?? Our BC has been itchy but his coat and skin are fine...just that hair time again!!!!
Ax
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
could he be having a moult??? Getting his winter coat through?? Our BC has been itchy but his coat and skin are fine...just that hair time again!!!!
Ax
Hello ailsa1,

Yes I though it could have been the dreaded mould too, he is still shedding a lot of hair even though he's had a good grooming session. Also I wonder if the change in humidity etc of his foster home has had anything to do with it - I found I got a bit of a sore throat from the short time I was there. I don't think it is anything drastic the matter with him, just I don't want everyone to think he's lousy.

Hi Foxy,

No, I use garlic pearls - 2mg ones, they appear to work.

Thanks everyone.

Ian