Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Sick Dog Help and/or Advice Needed

Hi Everyone

We have a 1 yr old Coton de Tulear and he´s been sick now for 4 days. First bout of sickness he brought up some carrots and his normal dog food. I thought at first that he´d been sick because I´d given him cooked carrots. Normally he eats them raw with no problems. Next day he´s sick again with a greeny liquid sick, no food in it and this is also the same the following day. Today I made him pasta as I´d heard somewhere that this can settle an upset stomach. He managed to keep it down from this morning and then I gave him more this afternoon along with a little dog food. Now he´s brought it up. I suspect I may be guilty of giving him a little too much pasta after his being sick for 3 days prior but I was worried about him being hungry. Obviously tomorrow I´ll give him just a small amount of pasta again (unless anyone has any better suggestions) and hope that he´s not sick again. If it continues then we´ll have to take him to the vet on Monday. I just wondered if anyone knew why he´s being sick for so long. Do dogs have stomach bugs?

Any advice is very welcome.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi, yes dogs can easily get stomach bugs.
The main thing to be careful of right now is dehydration from so much vomitting, so make sure he drinks plenty of water.

As its been going on for a few days now, I would give the out of hours vet a ring for specific advice.
Doesnt cost anything to get them to go through the symptoms on the phone at least, and if there is anything worrisome they have the opportunity to have you get him in and treatment started asap if any is needed, but equally they may be able to set your mind at rest for the weekend along with some advice specifically tailored for your dog then have him seen on Monday if it still continues, [ if the vet doesnt feel the need to see him sooner than that ].

Let us know what they say on the phone ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Lisalou is your dog pooing ok? If not he may have eaten something that is blocking his tummy and you need to see a vet urgently, meanwhile its best not to feed anything just give small amounts of water .

If he is pooing ok it is not quite so urgent, but you should still see a vet if he has been vomiting for more than 24 hours . It is best to feed small meals of boiled white rice and white fish, just a tablespoon at a time every hour if it stays down and your dog should not drink large amounts of water at a time it will only come back up. Don't restrict water but put a small amount down and keep topping it up.
I hope your dog will be better soon.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to offer some advice just in case your dog gets sick again.

A good thing to do as a precaustion is keep a box of Glucose/Dextrose powder in.
Then if your dog gets poorly again and refuses to eat for over a day, you add 1 tablespoon of this powder in per pint and keep that down for the dog to drink instead of plain water, the sugar in the liquid will help him keep his energy up and not get too lethargic.

I have always done this for my dogs and it is reccomended in The Doglopeadia too.

Just thought this might halp for future reference.

Hope he gets better soon.

kye xxx
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Any news lisalou?
Hope your dog is ok.
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Thankfully after writing my original post on here he started to get back to normal. He perked up the next day started eating and drinking again and got back to normal fairly quickly. This is the first time he´s been sick like that for so long so it was very worrying for us but thankfully he´s ok now.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi Lisalou glad your dog is better, like us dogs are sick at times and that can be a good thing, it rids the body of ingested substances that for some reason can't be digested. If this is the case a few hours without food to rest the tummy followed by an easily digested meal of rice and white fish usually does the trick