Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 10:45 PM
My thoughts exactly
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks guy i don't think i will stop using chicken only in its raw state, for now their bone content will have to be four legged!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
If you are worried about feeding raw chicken but still want to feed chicken bones for calcium then invest in a pressure cooker This will cook the carcass to the point that the bones can be 'mashed' and thus present no danger if eaten
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
Just looking at it logically - flu is an airborne virus and has to be inhaled. I would imagine that frozen meat would be ok.

I should think there is more danger from wild birds, ducks etc. than chickens.

This is just my opinion though.
That's not the case I'm afraid, the Avian flu can be caught through the blood and faeces of the affected animal as well as through the air.

Like you say not time to panic yet though!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Most of the Poor Chickens in this country never get to see the outside to catch any thing so Im not worried at the moment.

Maybe more at risk with Free Range Chickens
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 09:28 AM
just a note to whoever said flu is airborne... Avain Flu is trasmitted through faeces and is not (yet) airborne hence why it has not reached epidemic levels worldwide.
We are not in immediate danger of avian flu as it is has to undergo many freak mutations before it can cause a problem to people/dogs/cats etc. This is yet another reminder of how the media can reduce people to a frenzy. The avain flu, if present in a human – unlikely unless you live in the squalors of china (where most of these crazy diseases start –remember the SARS scare) at the same time as our influenza (not generally lethal) being present in the same human, may by chance come across each other and combine, to make a new flu which is both transmittable through air (like ours) and deadly (like the avain type)
Its not likely to happen... you are more likely to get salmonella from handling the raw chicken and not being clean (does no one remember that particularly nasty bacteria?!)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2