Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Dogmatic Head Collars Any Good?

I was wondering what your views were (good or bad), on the Dogmatic head collar?

I'm currently using the Halti head collar, but even though I've tried two different sizes, it still rides up into my labrador's eyes. So I thought I would get your views on the Dogmatic versus the Halti before I try one out.

Any comments gratefully received.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I use them on both my dogs and find them good, they stay in place and don't tend to mark the fur like Haltis can. I use the leather ones, they weren't cheap but I've had them probably about 3 years now and they're still in great condition (and I've been too lazy to look after them properly so they'd probably be even better condition if I had treated the leather etc.)
You can see here that the side straps do not sit near the eyes at all and that it's all quite sturdy, it all stays put (probably could have got a slightly smaller size around the neck for Casper as you can see by the excess strap but it's no big deal)
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you find the Dogmatic effective in controlling the pulling?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I only really use them to make sure I can control them if Casper reacts (he's a bit reactive when on-lead to other dogs) or to make sure Kiki doesn't pull us into the road chasing a cat/squirrel really, they do give me that control. They aren't a replacement for training a dog not to pull, but they should save your shoulders in the meantime!
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks Krlyr.

I'm not thinking of using the Dogmatic instead of training, just to give me more control on the lunging side of things with Ellie, because I've developed a frozen shoulder over the last 2 months, and any lunging or sudden pulling ahead is agony for my shoulder.

I walk 2 labs at the same time, Ellie is a pain in the ***, but Chalky is lead perfect. I walk Ellie on the left which is my good shoulder side, but still need a bit more control so I don't get pulled in the road or jolted ahead.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
It should suit the job then I feel confident holding both my dogs' leads in one hand when they have the Dogmatic (I don't as a habit but if I'm poopascooping or similar I will do), it does give a lot of control. We had a little incident the other week where a cat suddenly sprung out of a bush that Kiki was sniffing in, and I managed to lead both dogs ahead despite them desperately wanting to follow said cat the opposite direction!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I love the dogmatic, iv tried lots of headcollars, all have worked just as well as the next(on my male, dogmatic worked better for my bitch for all the reasons kryler uses it) the dogmatic is more comfortable for my dog, doesnt tangle his fur, strangle him, or ride up to the eyes. For those reasons i reccomend it xx
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
It should suit the job then I feel confident holding both my dogs' leads in one hand when they have the Dogmatic (I don't as a habit but if I'm poopascooping or similar I will do), it does give a lot of control. We had a little incident the other week where a cat suddenly sprung out of a bush that Kiki was sniffing in, and I managed to lead both dogs ahead despite them desperately wanting to follow said cat the opposite direction!
Sounds very familiar to some of my walks! If my 2 spot a cat I need to be spot on with the control or else I'd be flat on my face!
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
I love the dogmatic, iv tried lots of headcollars, all have worked just as well as the next(on my male, dogmatic worked better for my bitch for all the reasons kryler uses it) the dogmatic is more comfortable for my dog, doesnt tangle his fur, strangle him, or ride up to the eyes. For those reasons i reccomend it xx

So far the Dogmatic sounds ideal!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Have you seen the videos on Youtube of it in use?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjhmfBhvis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEoFYJRyQA

Don't forget to introduce a headcollar gradually though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wakterNyUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3ovsOvTss
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >