Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Boarding Kennels...

I know that on a thread somewhere, we've got questions to ask when visiting a boarding kennels somewhere...

We'll be putting the boys into kennels overnight for the first time ever this year (twice!) and I've got a shortlist of kennels in the area that I like, that I'm going to organise visits to.

I need some questions to ask and also need to see how they react to the fact that Max is highly dog reactive, and takes Murphy with him...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I know that on a thread somewhere, we've got questions to ask when visiting a boarding kennels somewhere...

We'll be putting the boys into kennels overnight for the first time ever this year (twice!) and I've got a shortlist of kennels in the area that I like, that I'm going to organise visits to.

I need some questions to ask and also need to see how they react to the fact that Max is highly dog reactive, and takes Murphy with him...
Having a dog reactive dog myself, the first thing I need to know is , that my dogs cant get to any other dogs at any given time, in exercise areas or if they walk them.

What time they are fed, locked up for the night, let out in the morn, the kennel routine..

if medication is needed , will it be given.

What insurance policy they have, who is their vet and what emergency procedure do they have.

Can I come to view the kennels, and see the enviroment they are in.

I prefer a kennel that only has a small number of dogs (personal choice) one they does not have kennels facing each other , again personal choice, having a dog reactive dog, (dotn want her sitting looking across the way at other dogs>

Exercise is optional, depending on the layout of the kennels, I dont mind if they dont get walked, but if its on their prospectus, then it must be in a completey safe enviroment, with no possibility of them getting loose.

The one I use has an enclosed playpen, that is only used for your dogs at any given time, they are NEVER let out with other peoples dogs (something I dont want)

Gut feeling is important too, you will get a good or bad feeling when you go to visit, go with your instinct.

Probably lots more you need to ask, but cant think at the moment,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Here you go, any other questions, just ask.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=13521
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks both, just what I was after!

JB - this is what I'm most concerned about with Max's aggression. If he can see other dogs, he will spend the entire time trying to get to them and barking like a loon.

I know that Max won't eat if I'm not there, but we'll only be leaving them for a night each time, so I'm not too worried about that.

Exercise wise, as long as they're not out with other dogs, they would be fine. Actually, they'd be fine if they only got a 20 min run.

The only thing that concerns me is that they are very used to 'asking' to go out to the loo; and then being let out. It sounds like a silly question, but in kennels, are they just expected to toilet on the floor during the day? I can see both of them creating quite a stir if this is the case.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 12:33 AM

JB - this is what I'm most concerned about with Max's aggression. If he can see other dogs, he will spend the entire time trying to get to them and barking like a loon.

I know that Max won't eat if I'm not there, but we'll only be leaving them for a night each time, so I'm not too worried about that.

Exercise wise, as long as they're not out with other dogs, they would be fine. Actually, they'd be fine if they only got a 20 min run.

The only thing that concerns me is that they are very used to 'asking' to go out to the loo; and then being let out. It sounds like a silly question, but in kennels, are they just expected to toilet on the floor during the day? I can see both of them creating quite a stir if this is the case.
Dogs will wee when they need to dont worry. Most males will pee because there are others around, some dont of course, but Im sure that wont be a problem, in all the years Ive been doing it its never been an issue for the girls or the boys.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Dawn... I'm such a wuss
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

at ours they are let out often enough not to have to go on the kennel floor. very rarely do we get accidents in kennels, a couple of puppies have had a mishap, and then of course you get males that want to cock their leg everywhere my favourite boarders but trust me they will be fine
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
at ours they are let out often enough not to have to go on the kennel floor. very rarely do we get accidents in kennels, a couple of puppies have had a mishap, and then of course you get males that want to cock their leg everywhere my favourite boarders but trust me they will be fine
My 2 wee like girls, they rarely cock their leg!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
My 2 wee like girls, they rarely cock their leg!
the majority we get in are pretty good at not cocking legs, but then you get the odd ones that pee up the shutters, the walls, the doors their beds, other kennel doors, bowls.... all i seem to do when they are in is mop!!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Here you go, any other questions, just ask.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=13521
in the article its says quote " A final point when viewing, ask about the kennels security, what extra precautions have they taken to ensure the safety and security of your dog whilst he/she is in their care."

I would like to quantify that by saying the security mention is to prevent animals escaping only.
No kennel or any other business would give out their security of the premises, We sometimes get asked about what security systems we have in place, we politely reply if you go into a bank do you ask about their security systems? I don't think so

Tumbleweed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >