Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Raw Foods & Supplements

Does anyone add supplements of any kind and if so what? and how often ?

Thanks in advance
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Not at the moment, but I have ordered smoething from Landywoods.

I get confused looking at what people supplement, as there are so many things - some people say dogs need them, some people say they don't!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:05 AM
you should get a book - there are so many. have you read any of the billinghurst ones?

as a general rule, its not good to over supplement. if you speak to a herbalist, or homeopath, tey will tell you to supplement when you have problems, but stop when symptoms dissapear. if you play with supplements with out knowing what you are doing, you are upsetting a balance. for example too much vit c is ok. it comes out in your pee (all this goes for dogs a humans) but too much vit d can be toxic, casuing hardening of the artieries. if you read some books you will get a general idea of what to do. i will tell you what i do, for my three healthy dogs (that is no complaints or symptoms that i can see)

to my veg patties i add kelp powder, a couple of teaspoons in about twice a week. i put in natural yoghurt when i can (most times, as this like for us, adds natural bacteria which help break down foods and get the best out of it for the body)
i also add oil every day, but different types. evening primrose has omega 6 while cod live oil has 3 omega esentail fatty acids. (there are other oils that have these, but they are digested differently in the body, so i choose these for my heathly dogs)
i also add flax powder (nutrasprout) occasionally, as this wont do any harm.
just remember over supplementing can be as bad as the 'chum' (lol) (oh i also add honey occasionally too) if you are getting a good mix of veg and fruit, in your patties, then dont worry too much about supplements. however if you are only feeding peas and carrots, then perhaps ....you should read some books!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Mine have natural yoghurt weekly.
They also have sardines, which contain the omega acids.

I feed lots of leafy green veggies (cabbage, lettuce, broccolli, cauliflower etc), and also add banana, small pieces of apple etc, occasionally (they love bananas). They have a small portion of veggies daily, as Teagan has to cut down on her food, and the vets told me to bulk it out with veggies. (They had veggies before this anyway).
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
With a good varied diet they shouldn't need suppliments.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi Lel answered it on ch/d earlier take me too long to type again

Christine.

Forgot to add, yes dogs should be getting everything they need from a healthy diet but sometimes they aren`t, for many reasons, or maybe the immune system isn`t up to par or they`ve had surgery or have digestive probs, allergies etc. Then the body needs help with supps & it can take a long/short time depending on what the prob is as to whenthe bodies recovery time
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Just read it
Thanks Christine
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-02-2005, 03:50 PM
You`re welcome