Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:05 PM

thirsty dog

I am getting a bit worried about my trixy she is about 14 now so she is getting on and i have noticed over the last few days that she is drinking quite a lot of water is this something i should be concerned about.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Have yu changed her food at all ?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Increased drinking can indicate Kidney/liver failure and diabetes, among other things.
I would ring your vet, and perhaps ask for a blood test, which will rule anything out.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Yes, it is of concern and you should get your vet to examine her. Take a urine sample with you. It would be useful if you could give your vet an approximate idea of the quantity of water that she is consuming.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2005, 06:28 AM
I too had this problem with my 8yr old Cav. Even more of a worry was because he is on a heart trial as hes got advanced MVD. He could drink about 1L all day and be fine, then that increased to about 3L. Followed by throwing up all over the floor 30mins later. He was given a full blood check as we were told if could be kidney or Liver probs. They came back all clear but it kept happening so he was put on synulox incase he had a little bug which worked, he still does it every 6-8 weeks but we cant find a reason for it. When it happens hes eyes sink and hes sad for a day or 2. His Cardiologist did think it might be accute Kidny falier which is treatable but all was ok there.

Try not to let her drink all at once if she is doing it might help her, but id get a pee sample and nip her in for a blood test.

Good luck with Trixy
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2005, 11:06 AM
URGENT to add to what the others say is she an unspeyed bitch, if so does she have a discharge or appear listless? Sudden thirst is also a symptom of pyometra and a medical emergency. If this does not apply to your dog I would be concerned and would wish to see a vet asap anyway.
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for replying and thanks for the advice

I will make an appointment with my vets asap.

i havent changed her food and she is fine in herself any other way

(mini) she hasnt been spayed but isnt having any other symptoms like discharge or anything but come to think of it maybe she is weeing more i will note down today how much she is drinking and how many wees she has.

do u think it could be a sign of diabetes then and if so how is this treated and can u tell me how i get a wee sample please.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2005, 12:02 PM
wheni took a wee sample from indie i got a very small sandwich box thing and followed her round the garden, another way wud be to use a lid and pour the contents into an empty water bottle?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2005, 12:05 PM
If she is unspayed then get her to a vet today, it could be pyometra and that won't wait till Monday, nor will acute kidney problems. It may be nothing but it is far better to be over careful than sorry
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by sambo
can u tell me how i get a wee sample please.
I had fun doing this, I followd my boy around the garden on a walk at mums house and at the vets, but everytime i went near him he walked away. You could try it this way watch and when about to pee put a container under her, but like my vet said its not easy peeing when your being watched

OR If your girl has a fav pee place put somthing there and she might pee on it. I dont know if its the same as dog but they will pee on anything in the garden thats not usualy there.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >