Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Brushing teeth

I would like some advice on the best way to brush a playfull puppys teeth
I havent tryed to brush Kira's teeth yet but would like to ,but its even hard to open her mouth and just look at her nice new teeth without the threat of loseing my fingers ! and the cheeky little imp even bites my finger if I point at her and try to look at her in a telling off way
If she thinks its a game to try and bite my hands when I try to look at her teeth what hope have I got to get a tooth brush in there?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 03:31 PM
The easy way is a nice big bone!!
If you want to do it the 'hard' way though start by just getting her used to having her teeth looked at .Give her the command teeth and then check all her teeth gently.The reward.Do this several times a day till she is happy with it and then start by just touching the front teeth with the brush(would suggest using a 'finger ' brush).As she gets used to it just increase the amount you do
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi PJ ....that is why I recommend on my homepage(below) that you groom your dog every day and check in its mouth so it gets used to being handled.
Cleaning teeth ..Having got your puppy used to having it's mouth opened as part of the daily routine you can then introduce the toothbrush , get a nice soft one to start off with. You can clean some of the teeth by just lifting the dogs lips,with a tiny bit of toothpaste on the brush gently sweep the bristles from the top of the gum to the end of the teeth and repeat a section at a time. Now open the dogsmouth (by gently pressing on the sides) and do inside the teeth the same way . The first time of cleaning I would only do a little section then progress bit by bit to do the lot.
When you have finished put the dog on the floor and give lots of praise. If you carry out any check on your dog it is best not to call it to you, but to go and pick it up so that being called by you is never associated with anything that may be even slightly unpleasant.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Try getting her used to having you just look in there at first at this age all they wanna do is bite and you don't have much hope getting to much of a look. But each day just try a little and eventually you will be able to open her mouth properly for a look. Thing is just get her used to handling her mouth and touching around her teeth at this stage because you don't really want to do any proper brushing until she has completly finished teething as things could be sore right now and you don't wanna put her off for the future.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I brush Keena's teeth and have done since she was done teething. I also find it helps to feed food that is free from artificial colours etc because even if they don't get tartar the colours soon make the teeth not so bright. I know dogs just Keena's age who have already got a yellow tint to their teeth at 9 or 10 months. Her teeth are bright white and lovely, I wanna keep them like that for as long as possible, they look so nice. Keena also gets big raw knuckle / marrow bones, chicken wings and necks to help clean her teeth as well as a few healthy crunchy doggy treats like JWB CrackerJacks and Nutro tartar control biscuits etc. Remember also to look on the ingrediants of some snacks and chews for dogs because on the package they say they are good for teeth but can actually contain sugar which just doesn't make sense.

I couldn't even imagine going in Kody's mouth right now armed with a toothbrush!
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I've started to try to get her used to me looking at her teeth before I feed her as she will sit and wait till I tell her to take it ,so hopefully she will soon understand if she cooperates she will get her food sooner ,at least this way her mind isnt on playing when her food is waiting ,I'm just starting by saying teeth and lifting her lips to begin with and having a little look once she is happy with that hopefully she will let me open her mouth and have a better look and so on
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw
I've started to try to get her used to me looking at her teeth before I feed her as she will sit and wait till I tell her to take it ,so hopefully she will soon understand if she cooperates she will get her food sooner ,at least this way her mind isnt on playing when her food is waiting ,I'm just starting by saying teeth and lifting her lips to begin with and having a little look once she is happy with that hopefully she will let me open her mouth and have a better look and so on
That is an excellent way to start. Once you move on to opening the mouth be firm but gentle. As soon as she opens a little way praise & reward. Get her used to having you put your finger in her mouth. When she is having a cuddle just slip a finger into the side of her mouth a do a tiny rub of her gums. Do not try to do the whole mouth. Go gradually until she accepts that your finger in her mouth is a part of grooming and not a chew toy Later you can do this with a piece of cloth around your finger before progressing to a proper brush.

(Just realised that I have repeated most of Mini's post - sorry)