View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Like Julie said it depends on the vet to the answer you will get. I know of a few vets that reckon a bitch will not mature properly unless you let them have a seaon first, then there's others who will disagree

At the end of the day its your pet and you have to do what you think best.

Rockpig you should think about showing Hippo he's a cracker in which case you cann't get his bits chopped off.
rockpig
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for your advice guys :P I need to go on an assertiveness course, im terrible at making decisions!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone

I didn't know there was an upper limit....Kingsley was castrated at 8 years old.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 08:22 PM
There isn't an upper limit the only thing stopping a spey or castration would be other health problems like a bad heart etc.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Mmmm that's interesting Julie cos both my vet's and my dog trainer said that Jas was too old to get castrated (he's about 7 or 8 years old) and at that age there's a higher risk of them not being able to cope with the anasthetic
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Just a quick question on speying..it confuses me!
My vets advised to me get Teagan speyed 2 months after her first season.Now...is that 2 months after it started, or 2 months after it finished?Sorry if I sound a bit thick!She started bleeding on 26th October, and finished bleeding on 9th November (2004).Thanks
When to spey, yes Hevvur I understand spaying a bitch mid cycle is correct thing to do , I will explain a little. The bitches cycle is made up of four parts, 1) proestrum, 2) estrum, 3) anestrum 4) metestrum. The first two of these (proestrum and estrum) take place when your bitch first comes into season and cover about a month in all, the third part of the cycle, the anestrum is the period covering the two months after the season (this is usually when false pregnancy takes place) then comes the three months of the cycle called the metestrum making the full 6 month cycle. I understand the first part of the metestrum (that is three months after a bitch starts her season) is thought to be the best time to spay for hormonal reasons.
Edited to say..this information covers bitches with a normal six months cycle, but there are exceptions and some bitches have a different length cycle
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 09:55 AM
There is always a risk with any operation but I have seen dogs of 11-12 speyed or castrated - I beleive RSPCA and some other rescues insist on it unless the animal has as I said earlier other health problems.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, Teagan is getting speyed on Tuesday (If the vet declares her fit and well)!!!
I'm getting it done for £25, with the Dog Trust campaign.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 04:16 PM
glad you got it sorted H
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Well, Teagan is at the vets right now.
Took her at 9am.

If I haven't heard anything by 2:30pm, I have to phone them.

I also got them to weigh her....48.6kg! (7.6 stone) My baby is getting big!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >