Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Losing eyesight

My Mums dog who is about 7 years old seems to be losing his eyesight ,he is acting normal but the other day I noticed his eyes are looking a little bit cloudy and right in the center of each eye there seems to be a very small blob of lighter cloud
She has'nt taken him to the vets yet but when she does will they be able to offer any treatment to help him keep his sight?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi PJ sounds like it might be cataracts though obviously only a vet can say. I understand that it is possible to have an op for this but I would imagine it is very expensive...though I believe the cost of an op may be covered by some pet insurance. Tell your mum not to worry too much,I had a totaly blind cocker who managed perfectly well. Dogs rely on sound and scent far more than humans and sight is thought to be not nearly so important to them. The only time Kelly the cocker had a problem was if the furniture was moved otherwise you would not have known she could not see. If you go to the vet and some form of hereditary condition is found you should notify the breeder (if a pedigree dog)
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2005, 09:12 AM
our old dogs eyes went like that in the end she was went completely blind but lived a good life til she was 19 years.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Most of my oldies have, sooner or later got that roomy look and a blue haze over the eye, but not one has changed their behaviour because of it. Dogs manage very well with poor eyesight in places they are used to and only have trouble it they are taken somewhere new. Even then it is nothing like as difficult as it would be for us in the same circumstances.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Sounds like cataracts. My Rottie had them and she still managed perfectly well with them
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Just to repeat what everyone else has said. My family had a more or less blind old dog when I was young. She managed fine and used the other, younger, dog as her very own guide dog!
The younger one used to lick her eyes, as if he understood