Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Cars and dogs

I was all set to take the dogs on an adventure !

We got a new estate car a couple of weeks ago and the boys (Skye & Fingal) haven't been in it yet.

I bought one of those rubber boot tray things so I've fitted that and it's brilliant - no more smelly wet spaniel smells etc etc

Then it was time for the dog guard !

Our last car was a Mondeo estate and we had a really good strong (rhino proof) factory fitted dog guard. I kept it when we got shot of the car but (after much huffing, puffing and swearing) i've had to concede - it doesn't fit.

Never mind, I went and bought a universal wire mesh type one from Halfords. Might not be as substantial but the dogs are a bit older now and more used to going in the car so it should be enough to keep them off my lap when driving but hey ho - there's no way it would fit.

Back to square one. The Halford's one's going back to the shop and I'm away to get my hack saw and files out of the shed to modify the old one.

Fingers crossed - the boys may get their adventure yet !
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Perfect fit !

A work of Art and it 'only' took 2 hrs.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Nice one Phil, just back from purchasing a Renault Laguna Sports Tourer... They are fitting a dog guard free of charge but can you tell me more about that rubber boot tray thing? Where I get one, cost and are they good??
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
They are fitting a dog guard free of charge but can you tell me more about that rubber boot tray thing? Where I get one, cost and are they good??
They are absolutely fantastic, I've got a subaru Forester and it came with a rubber tray, and it's fantastic at keeping all the water/grit/mud off the upholstery of the car.

I'm not sure off the top of my head where you can get one, but I'm sure there are suppliers of them out there and highly recommend getting one, especially if you have gundogs who love water/mud/anything that stinks
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
especially if you have gundogs who love water/mud/anything that stinks
You know them so well eh
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Ian - They come in different sorts - Some (often made by the manufacturer) fit the floor of the estate and come up the sides a few inches. These tend to be rigid and called 'boot trays' They're expensive but I'm sure Renault will do one - the dealer could get you one and work it into the cost of the car.

You can also get rubbery ones. Just as good and a lot cheaper. Mines a rubbery one. They are very thick and tough (a lot thicker than the car mats you get in the foot wells)

You just lift them out hose em down. Brilliant !

Halfords sell the 'CANNON Boot Protector' for about £30 i think - they have moulded lines so you can cut to fit. Need hefty scissors though.

IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Looks ideal, I was gonna get a rubber matt from work "free" and cut to size... would do much the same job eh??
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Yep - saves a few quid too !
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Here you go Ian found these for you since you like rubber so much.

Cannon Boot Protector

Care 4 Car

IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Chears Leo looks ideal...

Will go great with my gimp suit too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >