View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Topdog
Dogsey Junior

08-11-2004, 05:56 AM

How to brush your Dog's Teeth... and what toothpaste NOT to

How to brush your Dog's Teeth... and what toothpaste NOT to use...
How to brush your Dog's Teeth
Dogs, just like humans, can get cavities. Their teeth should be cleaned at least twice a week. Feeding your dog dry dog food and giving him plenty of hard bones to chew on, is one way to help keep his teeth healthier.
Two common problems dogs with poor dental hygiene have, are loose and abscess teeth. Does your dog have bad breath? Studies show that 98 % of dogs with bad breath are suffering from periodontal disease, a result of plaque build up. If left untreated, this can lead to a bacteria infection, which can enter the bloodstream and spread to your dog's kidney, liver, heart and even their brain. Chances are if your dog has very bad breath, there is a problem with his teeth.

Step 1 - Select an appropriate time
Find a quiet, convenient time when you and your dog are both relaxed.

Step 2 - Acquaint your dog with the process.
For the first few sessions don't even use a toothbrush. Hold your dog the same as when you are cuddling her. Gently stroke the outside of her cheeks with your finger. After she becomes comfortable with that, place a dab of toothpaste on your finger and let her taste it. We usually suggest starting with C.E.T. poultry flavored toothpaste, because pets like the taste. You can also make your own or buy a toothpaste from the health food store...WITHOUT FLUORIDE(RAT POISON), SOAPS OR DETERGENTS,SUGAR(AND ARTIFICAL SWEETNERS),OR FOOD COLORINGS!!!

Step 3 - Introduce the Toothbrush
Place a small amount of toothpaste on the brush. In a slow circular motion, brush one or two teeth and the adjoining gumline. The purpose of this step is to get your dog accustomed to the feel of the brush. Use a soft bristled toothbrush if you cannot find one for dogs in your local pet stores. The new fancy kinds with the different length bristles may come in extra soft - those are the best, as they can easily be worked between the canine teeth. Do not ever use a hard bristled toothbrush or even medium as it may damage or irritate a dog’s gums.

Step 4 - Begin Brushing
Over the next several days, gradually increase the number of teeth brushed. It is important to eventually brush the rear teeth where plaque and tartar have a greater tendency to accumulate. Go slowly and gently.. Stop brushing when you decide to stop, before your dog begins to fuss. If she learns to dislike the procedure and finds out that more fussing makes you stop quicker, then this brushing business is going to get harder, not easier.
If you do not have medical gauze in you home, you will have to pick some up at the store (it is cheap). Wrap some gauze around your fingers, and using the same method you have been using over the past few weeks, rub the toothpaste covered gauze over your dogs gums and teeth, this does a better job than your fingers, and the scrubbing sensation will help your dog adjust to the toothbrush.
Now that your have been scrubbing your dog’s teeth with gauze and toothpaste, and both you and your dog are comfortable with handling all teeth even back molars you can try with a toothbrush. It may take more than a month for the more timid or skittish dogs and people - keep at it and you’ll both smile brighter.

Build up to about 30 seconds per side. Dogs don't get much tartar on the inside surfaces of their teeth, so you only need to worry about the outside surfaces Be sure to brush the big teeth way in back.

Make tooth brushing a pleasurable experience
Proceed slowly and gently. Stop each session while it is still fun and lavishly praise your dog afterwards. She will soon start looking forward to tooth brushing and it will become a pleasant activity for both of you.
article from: http://members5.boardhost.com/SUPERNATURAL/msg/89.html

HOMEMADE TOOTHPASTE:
HOMEMADE HERBAL TOOTHPASTE
Posted by T O P D O G on March 26, 2004, 9:13:08, in reply to "Good luck to your new board...plus...a question for ya!"

Make your own toothpaste Formula # 1
There is an excellent herbal toothpaste you can make yourself out of Myrrh, Tea Tree oil, charcoal and oil of peppermint. It is easy to make and saves teeth. Goldenseal is an optional ingredient.
Make your own toothpaste Formula # 2
Try making your own tasty, natural toothpaste that will clean your teeth and protect them from decay.
10 ml gelatin
500 ml hot water
baking soda
oil of peppermint
chlorophyll drops
oil of licorice, fennel or anise
small container with lid
spoon
Instructions
Mix 10 ml of gelatin with 500 ml of hot water in a small bowl and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Then let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
Add enough baking soda to give the gelatin an abrasive feel and pasty texture.
Mix your toothpaste, testing different amounts of some or all of the remaining ingredients: chlorophyll drops, oil of peppermint, oil of licorice.

Make your own toothpaste Formula # 3
To each half cup of baking soda, add 3 teaspoons of glycerin, 10-20 drops of flavoring (peppermint, wintergreen, anise, cinnamon). Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and add just enough water to make the concoction "tooth-pastey". Spoon the substance into a small refillable plastic squeeze bottle or any container that dispenses easily and won't leak. VoilÁ! Toothpaste!
The amount of glycerin you add will control the "pastiness" of the cleanser and obviously the type of flavoring will determine the taste. Both ingredients are inexpensive and available at any drugstore. Your neighborhood grocer, of course, can supply you with salt, and baking soda.

Commercial toothpastes generally incorporate a slick, easy flowing combination of chalk, soap, glycerin and flavorings. Your homemade creation won't be as smooth...but I know you'll find it more healthy, satisfying, less wasteful and less expensive.
The formulas I've outlined here have worked well for my family...but don't be afraid to experiment and work up your own recipes.

Make your own toothpaste Formula # 4
Mint Tooth Paste
Ingredients:
6 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons glycerin
15 drops peppermint or wintergreen extract

Directions:
Mix thoroughly. Should be a tooth paste consistency. Store in a container. You'll be surprised with how fresh your mouth feels.

Make your own toothpaste Formula # 5
Hydrogen peroxide(a few drops)and Baking soda.
Directions:
Make a paste by combining the two ingredients. Use this paste on your teeth and also gently rub along gums two times a week.
ARTICLE FROM :
http://members5.boardhost.com/SUPERNATURAL/msg/86.html

Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 10:21 AM
I've tried brushing my dogs teeth. Apart from there wasn't much of the toothbrush left whe I finished, I spent the rest of the time trying to get them to stand still long enough to get the thing IN thier mouths.

Now I use Logic
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Yep, I use logic on my dogs too, lots easier than fighting with 5 dogs and tooth brushes!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
I've been very fortunate with Jas he has pretty good teeth anyway but I also use logic and he does get his teeth brushed when we go on a PAT visit
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks Topdog!
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:01 PM
I have spent the last 6yrs trying to clean Reenos teeth, Barney is fine he will sit and let you hes a good lad, but Reeno screems as if im killing him and his son Disson runs and hides he is petrified of the toothbrush even if its just left for him to sniff. Luckily neither have dirty teeth so chews help them. I have heard alot of good reports on the Logic stuff, what do you all make of it??? Does it really work as im thinking of getting some.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:04 PM
My bitch Tammy had really, really bad teeth and no amount of brushing or chewing would cure it but we started using logic for her and it was brilliant!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Logic is great. None of my dogs are used to having thier teeth brushed. At least this way, I know that they're getting them cleaned without the stress of trying to get a toothbrush in thier mouths.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:42 PM
i use logic as well ....great stuff
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2004, 05:33 AM
Would someone please let me know who manufactures Logic. I have so often heard how good it is but cannot get it here. I was wondering if the manufacturer might use a different product name for Australia.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >