Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Dogs in Small Cars...

How do people transport their dogs in small cars?

We have just inherited a small 3 door Ford KA which Toby will need to travel in regularly. I'm unsure what the safest way for him to travel will be?

I'm not keen for him to go in the boot as its very small and I don't think his crate will fit. I looked at the dog hammocks and guard across the front seats but I'd need to be able to put the passenger seat up and down to get him in. So the other option is a car harness, however I travelled with Toby in the back of a friends car and he managed to unclip my belt four times!

So......any ideas?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I use a car harness with the seat protector sling u mentioned.
Could he not go in the boot with a dog gaurd?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:39 PM
He could but it seems very small and as there are no rear headrests the guard legs would have to be in the boot too (plus I'd like to keep the boot usuable if possible!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Why do you not fit a dog guard and a tail gate?

that way you can use the boot for most things if the dog is not in it, and you protect the dog with both in.

Of course if your dog chews then a cage is the only safe way to ensure upholstery is not chewed as dog guards and tailgates like seatbelts do not protect the car from damage.

When I had a saloon type car that is what I used and in fact that is what I have now in my Volvo V70, a tailgate guard and dog guard. Both should be SCREWED in, do NOT rely on tension bars, they are hopeless if you have an accident.

Talk to Barjo etc
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I use a doggy seatbelt in my Fiesta, but she just goes to sleep and doesn't try to escape from it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2011, 03:27 PM
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 03:30 PM
lol yes thats Tobys favourite seat too! Not sure its a good idea while we're moving though!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2011, 03:36 PM
on a more serious note ozzie and snoop either in the boot or the back seat on a cover when i had a polo ..

wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I've just been out for a proper look at the car. No way he can go in the boot, apart from the size there are also loose wires etc!

Looks like he will have to have a harness. Does it need to be a special car one? I'll have to start searching for one that attaches without using the seatbelt clip (can't risk him unclipping that while I'm driving!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 05:30 PM
There is, as yet, not dog seatbelt harness approved to EN/ISO/BSi standards, the best one on the market is the swedish one (very expensive) or the ruff wear one.

No seatbelt will protect your dog from all injuries but it WILL prevent it killing you, going through the windscreen and thus getting run over or running away etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >