Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Crufts back on TV-bad news for some !

MORE 4 TO BROADCAST CRUFTS
More 4 has signed a deal with the Kennel Club, organiser of DFS Crufts, to broadcast the event for the first time in 2010.

More 4 will bring a fresh perspective to coverage of Crufts while retaining the show's popular highlights including the stories of 'hero dogs' in the Friends for Life competition and the live award of 'Best in Show'. The programming will also provide a high profile platform to inform the public about issues of health and welfare in pedigree dog breeding.

Coverage of the four-day dog show will be broadcast between 11 - 14 March with an hour long programme from Thursday to Saturday and a two-hour special on Sunday.

Hamish Mykura, Head of More 4, said:

"More 4's coverage will enable dog lovers to see all the Crufts favourites, with fresh and stylish coverage that will give the show a More 4 twist. Crufts has a long-standing place in British broadcasting, and people who watch it want to know that the dogs are, above all, happy and healthy. Our programmes will place a particular emphasis on dog welfare issues, reflecting different points of view."
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Communications Director, said:

"Dogs and dog lovers look forward to Crufts every year and we are delighted that More 4's coverage will give them the opportunity to celebrate with us the special and unique bond between dogs and their owners. The programme will not only show a range of the fun competitions and events that celebrate the diverse role that dogs play in society, but will also give puppy buyers the opportunity to learn how to choose, train and care of their dog, throughout its life.

"Dog shows such as Crufts, are crucial to safeguarding the long term health and welfare of pedigree dogs. They enable us to encourage and reward the breeding of healthy, happy dogs, by making sure that these are the ones that go home with the prizes. Without dog shows there would be no incentive to breed healthy dogs, no forum to monitor whether this is being done and no platform to educate the breeders and owners of the future.

"Crufts is also the world's best platform for all individuals and welfare organisations, veterinary professionals and breed experts who love and care about dogs, to discuss the health issues that the Kennel Club recognises affect some breeds and to discuss what we can all do to ensure that dogs live healthy, happy lives.

"The Kennel Club has worked hard for many years to address these health issues both within and outside of the show ring, and will continue to do so. It conducted the world's largest survey into pedigree health in 2004, in association with the Animal Health Trust and the British Small Animal Veterinary Association, which culminated in the review of all breed standards in January 2009."

Nicky Paull, President of the British Veterinary Association, said:

"Dog shows such as Crufts provide an excellent opportunity to educate the public about pedigree breeding - both the good elements and the areas of concern. They can also be used to highlight best practice in dog breeding and encourage responsible ownership.

"Alongside many other organisations, the BVA has long campaigned to reduce genetic disease in all animals and, jointly with the Kennel Club, our Canine Health Schemes help breeders to identify problems early and ensure they are not passed on.

"We welcome More 4's commitment to screening Crufts as a way to highlight health and welfare issues and inform viewers in an interesting and engaging way."

For more information on Crufts visit Website
The coverage will be produced by Sunset and Vine.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
''Without dog shows there would be no incentive to breed healthy dogs,''

Really?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post

Really?
Yes, really!, as with other ways to get the message across!!
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Good, I so missed it ...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I`m glad it`s on , particularly with the changes, because I think people with dogs need to be on TV as much as possible. There is a growing anti-dog element and anything to show dog-owning as enjoyable and rewarding is really needed.
As far as the Breed health debate is concerned - surely it`s better out in the open?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
It would be nice if all people wanted to breed healthy dogs for the sake of the dogs (but that would be a perfect world).
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I feel it is inexcusable not to make health a high priority. I am part of a program where it actually is. Since we started raising puppies in 1991, I have watched the health of the dogs in the program go from good to great. All the 300-400 puppies a year are X-Rayed after a year old and very few score less than OFA good. Very few of the dogs ever develop allergies. The subject of food sensitivity and bloat never even comes up. Even the problems my puppies have had with UTI's and ear infections go back to the 90's. It isn't just the younger dogs that are healthy. It is quite common for 12 year old Labs to be healthy, active, and working.

If show dogs are truly being bred for health, why are joint problems, allergies, food sensitivity, bloat, cancer, skin problems, etc. still such a problem?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Unless they have that Fogle chap presenting again
Then I think they should definitely keep it off.
Him and the dozy woman - it was like that famous Sam Fox MTV award show - cringeworthy.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I
If show dogs are truly being bred for health, why are joint problems, allergies, food sensitivity, bloat, cancer, skin problems, etc. still such a problem?
Because sadly not all show dogs are being bred for health & there's no compulsion to do so in this country. Having said that, some of the things you mention won't be cured by health checks alone as they are also affected by invironment. Indeed in some cases cancer is not affected by heredity at all.

I'm so glad Crufts is back but its my bad luck that the one year I'm too ill to go in person is the one year its not televised.