View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 04:28 PM
You must be very excited, and I hope you find a good breeder, bluemerles are gorgeous.

I brought my gsd up around my horse and from a very young pup I would tie her up outside the stable whilst I mucked out and did the horse, he would lean over the door and she would reach up and sniff him. Everytime I went to the muckheap I untied her so she could follow me with the wheelbarrow, then she'd get tied up again outside his box. When it came to putting him out, it was quite a while before I actually let her come with me offlead, as I obviously didn't want her running around under his feet (he was a big boy 16h2"). When she did finally get to do the trip up the fields with me, she soon learned how to stay away from my horse's legs and duck under the fence if any of the horses took an interest in her, she sort of learned all this herself, I just left her to it but kept a strict eye on her, and until she was 100% on listening to me I wouldn't have taken her to the field anyway. Eventually, she came out on short rides with me, never straying off the path or getting more than a few yards ahead at a time, so she had great fun out with us! Another thing, I used to leave her in my stable whilst I went out for a ride when she was very little with my other older dog, so she got used to being in the stable as well as out and around in the yard. I never, ever let her go off hunting with all the other loose dogs that were running around in the yard, she was always told to sit outside my stable and wait! She had a hard life as a puppy with a strict Mum like me, but it paid off heaps when I was able to take her out riding with me, she was always 100% under control which is a real bonus when you're stuck on top of a horse in the middle of nowhere!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2