Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:54 AM

Black markings on tongues

Hi. Can anybody enlighten me about the black marks some dogs have on their tongues please? My current g.s.d. bitch has had a black mark since we got her at 10 weeks old. I have been told by another person I met who's dog also had this, that it's a sign of high breeding? My husband says it has got much bigger over the past couple of years, but I think not! Unfortunately I don't have any old photo's of her tongue to compare the mark to what it is like now. I am wondering if anyone knows exactly what they are, and whether this may be something for me to worry about (oh dear, not more stress!)if it is in fact getting bigger. Any information would be greatfully received. Thanks.
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 11:43 AM
One of my dogs had a spot on her tongue, years ago but it never changed. I dont think it's anything to worry about.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Helena, As Traci says most probably nothing to worry about .If the marks are 'flat' I would guess it is a pigmentation thing and was there from birth and grew with the dog , or that an area of tongue has been damaged at some time, this can result in a colour change.. or could be a canine papilloma virus . However, if the area has grown a lot, bleeds, there are eating difficulties or any other concerns get the vet to check it out. If you think it is ok I would just mention it to the vet next time you are there.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Helena,

Archie also has a few black freckles on his tongue, under it and on his palate!!

Actually his skin is pretty freckly too under his fur

I doubt it's anything to worry about (but I also doubt it's a sign of high breeding!! It's just a freckle lol )
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
LOL Actually most of the dogs with German breeding have black marks on their tongues & an all black bitch i used to handle had lots of them, nothing at all to worry about & they might well grow as your puppy grows

I've only had GSDs since 1958 & as all my dogs have been from German bloodlines(even my first one way back then)& they have all had the black marks

This is one of my dogs sadly we lost thim aged 8 with cancer

Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah I know some japanese breeds like the Chow Chow, Kai and others have black markings on their tounges or whole black tounges, never heard of it in a GSD but that doesn't mean it's not normal. I guess if the dog has always had it and always been in good health there is nowt to worry about.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks all of you for putting my mind at rest! I didn't think the mark had changed at all since she was a puppy and she is 9 yrs. old now. Beautiful dog Jodedee, so sadly lost at only 8 yrs. old. Cassie is a black dog, so maybe it is more common in the black dogs. It is purely a marking on her tongue, not raised or anything, but it was just the fact that my husband said it was much bigger than it used to be that got me worried. Anyway, as I said you have put my mind at rest now and thanks for that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:28 PM
ops: Sorry Joedee - typing error!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Lot's of labs have pigmentation on their tongues as well...and that's all it is...pigmentation. Meatball has a spot on the top of his tongue and some on the underside. I like them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Echo is behind a lot of the all black GSDs in the UK & he was an import from Germany & had a huge black mark at the back of his tongue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >