Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 08:42 PM

For all those with microchipped pets!!

Apparently Silica is quite commonly used in the case of splinters and similar, to shift them out. Well guess what else it shifts out?

I met a homeopath yesterday just after I had Archie chipped, who told me never to give a dog silica if the dog was chipped Apparently she gave a man silica for a splinter without knowing he had an old war wound, and the shrapnel ended up shifting!
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 11:10 AM
I've never heard that before?

Not sure without some kind of evidence I would be a believer as microchipping is not only used with dogs but with nearly all breed of animals, and I know for sure that it is the only way that you can register horses on the many databases they have for all different disciplines and breeds etc..

If this was the case they would have introduced another form of identification by now as when your talking about race horses, showjumpers, eventers that are worth easily over a million pounds (each) and the billions that is the racing industry every year, microchipping is the most successful way of identification, otherwise when so much money is involved in racing and breeding (ie: horses, greyhounds, dogs etc) what could stop anyone fixing it by removing a microchip from an animal by silica and putting it in another that looks identical and then be able to lose/win a race?

It goes a lot deeper than that, but without conceret evidence about the silica theory don't anyone think it is not worth it getting your animals microchipped..

The microchip is placed just under the skin and by giving a dog silica would more likely give it the runs than displace the chip..
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 11:15 AM
lol puppydog I'm not saying don't microchip your pets!! I'm saying find another way to get the splinter out!!
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
lol Tuti,

Soz got a bit carried away...............
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah I couldn't believe it when I heard that. Apparantely you shouldn't give it to patients who have pace makers or hip replacements cos the same thing happens! Ouch!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:10 PM
My dogs are all tattooed so I don't need to worry about giving them anything I'll be tattooing some dogs next week for the first time since I had my hands operated on Good job they are not puppies otherwise I'd be stealing one for myself

I prefer the tattoo as you don't need a scanner other than the two free ones we all have I also had a dog that had a terrible reaction to internal stitches & my vet told me if she was microchipped it would be the same reaction to the chip

I do this all dogs should be tattooed or chipped & I know I have tattooed a good few that have been microchipped as well
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Never thought o that! Cause they tatoo aswell! Again, with it being a visual thing it could be messed with if someone really wanted, not that it would be likely..

Always good to keep in mind additionally to chipping etc! Thanks
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Tattoos can be altered but(& it is a very big but)because of the way the pins form the numbers they would not be able to alter them without it being obvious & the ink would look a different colour & of course the dog would have to be unconcious for an alteration as the original tattoos are done using forceps & the letters & numbers applied in one application. I know some people think they are done one bit at a time like a human tattoo & the old register di use the same method they used on the pitbulls but the NDTR use the same method as the GSD SV in Germany.

Biggest wimps are adult GSDs & the most stocial are Dobermanns A breeder I tattoo for reackons it's because their brains are in their feet ! so any pain takes ages to great a reaction ! I think it's just because they(Dobes)are daft !
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:43 PM
lol Joedee!